Terrified...

Hey, I'm a 17 year old female panicking because of my throat.

I had a sore throat, symptoms being extremely dry and sore, especially at night, really red, and lasted for more than 7 weeks as we couldn't see a doctor and after getting appointment they assumed it was oral thrush and I was given drops to treat it. 

It went away for a bit and it has returned and we called 111 for advice and they said it could be a sign of throat cancer. I'm scared out of my mind. We went to the hospital and we are still waiting for treatment, and my anxiety is rising more than normal-!

Does anyone know what else is wrong with my throat? It can't be cancer! I don't wanna lose my life, or my hair... 

• Hi

Im sorry to hear you're in distress because of your sore throat.

Your very young so it is highly unlikely to be anything serious. Please don't jump to the worst case scenario.

Take care x

• Hi, I am sorry to hear how worried you are.  This is the big problem with diagnosis over the phone.  You are highly unlikely at 17 to have throat cancer.  How are you in general?  Are you active and fit?  A sore throat, especially worse at night could be from breathing problems or snoring.  The airways get dry in the night, especially if you sleep with your mouth open.  Do you smoke?  Do you have a burning sensation in your throat as this could be heartburn?  Clearly you need to see a doctor again, but after 40 years in dentistry, oral cancer is usually found in people who are heavy smokers and drink lots of alcohol and are much older than you.  

• Hi there, I'm going through a scare myself - 18 and mass in breast. So I understand the extreme anxiety you may be feeling.

But honestly, at your age I really wouldn't worry - how can one can tell over the phone if you may have cancer?? Frankly I'm shocked this was said. Technically anyone *could* have cancer, but it's sooo unlikely at our ages. 

Could be anything - maybe glandular fever??

Not the same but for months I'd wake up with a painful burning throat - like tonsillitis every morning. I was diagnosed with tonsillitis, fungal infection (as my tongue became really really painful too). Went on for a while, even my voice sounded funny, and in the end, to my shock - it was indigestion!

Dont freak out, hugs x