Terminal pancreatic cancer

Hi I am a Carer for my mother in law who is an 82 year old women , very active , independant I am the only one she has for last 2 months complaint pain in tummy would not go to doctors , eventually she gave in and went to doctors 4 weeks ago who referred her for a scan ,was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer , just got results back from mdt meeting yesterday  not treatable , I moved in with her 2 weeks ago as a full time Carer , it's hard and exhausting but love her so much , in bed a lot hardly eating so hard to see someone deteriorate in front of you she was always a petite women 7st 4 now she is down to 6st 7 , I'm trying so hard to get food into her system but she is turning at everything it is such a cruel disease for a person to go through and for there loved one to watch and care for , sometimes I feel so lonely and just got to put a face on things for her sake and don't show her I'm so upset I don't know how long someone has in this world at this stage but I'm not leaving her side for a minute ,I put on the music that we both like cuddle up in bed with her and talk about all the happy times over the years ,for all Carers out there you all deserve a medal as I am in this position now and I know how hard it is to care for someone 24/7 if someone is in the same position as me it would be nice to have a chat .

• Hi Sunshie,

Welcome to Cancer Chat. Firstly I'm very sorry to read about your mother in law. This sounds like an incredibly difficult situation for you both. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job as a carer but I'm sure it must be very tough. Please make sure you are looking after yourself too, including speaking to others where possible and helpful. We are always here for support on this forum should you need it - and it can often be helpful simply to write things down.

There is also support available for carers via Macmillan, so do explore that if you haven't already. There is more information on that here.

If you don't receive further replies to your post, do feel free to browse or search the forum (using the button in the blue bar above) for any other relevant discussions that might be helpful.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi [@Sunshie]‍ 

My dad was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer at the end of May. I was signed off work since end of August to look after him. They told us they would give him radiation and chemo therapy however it made him so sick that if we could go back in time I'd rather he didn't do the treatment as they had told us it would not prolong his life anyway.

I know exactly how you feel and how mentally draining it is looking after someone 24/7 and seeing them deteriorate so much. My dad has lost a lot of weight too! 

Did they give you a time scale on how long they think she has left?

All I can say is enjoy each day you have with her xxx

• Hey my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer august 2019 due to going orange he had a stent put in and a biopsy of the mass which come back as cancer , dad hadn't had any medication or any treatments , he's lost loads of weight , he has a swollen belly but keeps going , when he got diagnosed he was given 6 months to a year but he's still with us thank god he's carried on doing the things he does every day , but over the last couple of weeks , dad has gone orange again his belly is more swollen , he keeps opening his bowels , sleeps more and is more out of out of breath then ever , I've looked into this and it says , that dads cancer has progressed as in gone into his liver , so I'm ringing the nurses to get answers as my heads a complete mess , I hope this helps I've tried not to be negative but it's hard sarah x