Terminal Cancer

Hi All, I'm a bit new to this I never post on forums but if anyone has any past experience or advice it would be greatly appreciated. 

Long story short it's been a huge shock my grandad of 68 around 3 weeks ago was sadly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which has spread to liver kidneys and colon/bowel. Scary as no symptoms at all but basically a death sentence. He cant eat and hasn't done for almost 20 days but is getting nutrients through a drip. Hes still in hospital but we are just hoping he can be at home or in a hospice to die. 

I'm 27 and fortunately never grieved so much or been so heartbroken losing someone so close to me.

Hes been given around 2 months but last night he had to have morphine for the pain...so what I wondered if anyone has been through similar, is morphine a sign of nearing death :( I'm just trying any which way I can to prepare myself so I can be as strong as I can but you just dont know do you :(

Honestly any advice would be so appreciated thank you.

• Hi Lily-r 

ive just joined here tonight, I’m so sorry to hear about your grandad,my dad has lung cancer it had spread to his lymph nodes and liver since last November, after chemo and radiotherapy we were told yesterday it’s spread and there’s nothing more we can do the hospital have been amazing and we’ve been very lucky to have such a great team, You say your grandad had morphine for the pain my dads been on morphine for over a year now for the pain he is in.I personally feel if it helps them to be comfortable then that’s what matters.I would speak to the nurses I hope you have good ones like us take care x

• Hi Linz27,

im so sorry to hear about your dad and thank you so much for your reply, its greatly apprecciated.

thats so reassuring that the nurses have been so good to your dad its lovely support.

thank you again and take care x

• Hi Lily,

My mum is currently in the same situation (she's 55, I'm 29), and she has been diagnosed with cancer in this area too.. It's in her lymph node, Duodenum and around the artery that supplies blood to the bowel.. She's been told that she is terminal and only has a 5% chance of it shrinking enough for additional surgery to remove as it is too far gone.. She too couldn't eat, everything would come back up.. She's been on a PICC line for the last 24 days so far. All of this has happened within 6 weeks.. I just want you to know that you aren't on your own and not the only one going through this heartbreak.

But, I just want to reassure you, that there are on times cases where people can make a shock recovery.. there are lots of herbal treatments that could possibly help slow things down. I really hope that you are able to speak to the doctors about any alternative therapies if chemo / radio aren't a possibility? There is always hope.. I'm not religious but find staying positive (as hard as it is) really has a massive effect. She's been so determined to be one of the lucky ones that makes it, it's changed her whole outlook on everything.

Also, being given morphine is not a sign or nearing death, it is just to make sure he's not in pain for the time being. My mum too is on a button that she can press every 5 minutes to relieve her of her pain. Managing the pain just makes everything a bit easier for them I guess..

If you ever need to speak to someone who's in the same boat, please just reply to me on here and I hope I can help.