Telephone Consultation

Hi everyone this is my first post. Sorry it's a bit long x

i have had cysts on my left breast off and on now for the past 17 years and to date nothing more sinister than fibrous cystic breast tissue and a few cysts needing drained.

just before covid hit I began feeling quite unwell and began experiencing a dull ache in my breast behind the nipple, it felt quite itchy at one point and is rather swollen.  This sensation and dull ache hasn't gone away.   I was taken into hospital with suspected covid thankfully it was negative, however they discharged me with three weeks of antibiotics and told me I had elevated CRP levels?? With normal white blood cell count.  They said my exhaustion was likely because I was post viral but they couldn't tell me what virus I had. Then about six week ago I called my daoctor and explained I was exhausted and that the ache in my breast wasn't lifting and she referred me to the breast clinic.

I had my telephone consultation today and have now been referred for a mammogram.  The consultant also said that if the mammogram doesn't show anything and my symptoms don't go away she will get me into hospital for some checks.  I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience of attending for a mammogram and what the waiting times are?  My last mammogram was three years ago.  I'm 48 years old and had a hysterectomy about 12 years ago so I know the change in size isn't due to menstrual  cycle or pregnancy. I'm feeling a little bit panicked.  I also have a dull ache under my arm and the nipple instead of being fairly round is quite elongated too on that breast.  The sever fatigue I ha e is awful some days I can barely stay awake.  I expect this is nothing but have felt very uneasy since my telephone consult today.sorry for the long post just seeking some advice or reassurance x

• Hello Hopesmum and welcome to our forum, 

Poor you it sounds like you had a bit of a rough ride recently after you had this virus scare. Luckily your tests showed you were covid negative. You did the right thing to call the doctor six weeks ago to get this looked at closely. I can understand why the phone consultation has left you feeling a bit uneasy - sometimes a phone consultation can also be a bit of an intimidating experience and leave a lot of questions unanswered. Hopefully it won't be long now until you have your mammogram. We have some information on our website here which will tell you more about the mammogram. It mentions that you usually receive a letter giving you the results within 2 weeks of having the test and that if you don't receive your results within this time to contact the breast screening clinic. Hopefully you will hear from other members here who have been in a similar situation before and they will come and share their own experience with you. 

This extreme fatigue sounds rather debilitating and I hope you get to to the bottom of this issue soon. It won't be long now until you get some answers and we are keeping everything tightly crossed for you. Try and keep busy and distracted if you can while waiting to be seen and find out more and resist the temptation to look anything up online as this will only exacerbate your anxiety. 

Keeping everything crossed for you that everything turns out fine. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Thank you so much.  I think having had cysts etc in the OST and not really being too worried about them this has thrown me a little bit.  I also recognise that the exhaustion/fatigue could also be due to being stuck in for so long and lack of mobility.

i really appreciate your advice and kind help.

thank you 

• I just received a phone call from the hospital asking me to go for a mammogram on Monday can't believe how quick that was.  3 days is brilliant.  

• That's brilliant Hopesmum! That is so quick. I am keeping everything crossed for you for Monday!
    Lucie

• I had my mammogram today.  Have to say I felt nervous about going in.  Between worrying about the obvious cancer related stuff then covid too.  They were so lovely but I did feel a bi fog discomfort when they examined the left breast breast especially doing the side tile which examines the underarm area.  Not sure if  that's usual?

the raisogeapher said that the radiologist would examine the xrays and then wouldmprware a report for the breast consultant and I would be contacted in due course.  However, she said she wasn't sure what timescales were in place due to covid and the hospitals just starting to see patients again.

overall they kept me at ease, just a waiting fame now.  I have some referred pin going into my shoulder rout suspect it has been from hugging the machine today.

Does anyone else know how long the wait is for results? Do they call you with the results or write out to you?

ive tried to be positive because I've been down this route several times and be so fortunate to have had benign lumps before but still feeling a bit anxious.

reading other people's concerns on this has been reassuring me.  In a way it's good to know that I'm not alone feeling uncertain or nervous during this time.

• Hi, 

I'm in the same position as you. I went last Wednesday for my appointment and had my first mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy on the lump. Mine is in my armpit but my breasts look clear. I've have to wait until Thursday when I have a telephone appointment for the results. 

• I hope you get some news soon.

i have had the lumps in the past but this time I'm not sure if I have a lump or not.

i am also concerned that I waited a while due to covid concerns before I contacted my GP.

i hope you hear back soon and that you receive good positive news.

I'm feeling nervous.  But trying to remain positive x

• Hi, 

I hope we both get some good news soon. I also put off goi g to the doctors I found the lump in April but did not go until the beginning of July. I was scared to go to doctors because of Covid which seems stupid now! 

• Morning,

not stupid at all I think there will be lots of people in the same situation who were really uncertain about what to do due to COVID in terms of contacting their GP straight away.  Plus I think there's a bit of me thinks you check and wait to see if things clear up and go away or life gets in the way and you say I will call the doctor tomorrow etc 

don't be hard on yourself either you're going through a lot at the minute.  I think I also put it off because I have been through this a few times before and used to get so worked up. The last time I was so fortunate after getting called back twice they said it was fibrous cystic tissue with hundreds of tiny little cysts in it   This time I just have a dull ache if that makes sense and it's behind the nipple which is also painful and the ache goes into my underarm.

a forum like this to share concerns is very good.  I don't know about you but I don't think I will get much sleep until I know the outcome.

You take care and fingers crossed your get a good outcome soon.

• Hi

how are you? Did you receive your call back? I was thinking about you on Wednesday and I have been praying for positive ended for you.

take care x