Tamoxifen side effects

I've been taking Tamoxifen for around 6 weeks now and have terrible sweats, particularly on my face and arms. Real water running down the face stuff!! I was lucky not to have any of these symptoms going through actual menopause so was wondering if there's any herbal remedies out there I can buy to help that anyone else would recommend?

I've also been having what I can only describe as 'period pains' and lower back ache too. My lower tummy seems a bit bloated and isn't  like this normally.  Extreme mood swings are making life unpleasant too. My husband looks like he's walking on egg shells

• I think a lot of us on Tamoxifen are familiar with these symptoms! In the current heat I’m wringing wet a lot of the time and yep, get mood swings altho they are getting fewer, I’ve been on it 10 months now. It’s a means to an end. 

•  I was on letrozole and I had the sweats and hot flushes and my mood swings were awful! I mean I scared myself and my boyfriend and something as simple as him rolling his eyes at me would result in me smashing up furniture or throwing drinks over him. My oncologist suggested I took evening primrose oil. It didn’t work for me but might for you? I was put on tamoxifen and for the first 8 weeks I was getting the same hot flushes etc but suddenly they stopped and I only get them occasionally and I find that it’s when I eat things with a high sugar content or caffeine which kicks them off. Try changing your diet, see if it helps? Xxx

• Hi there ..

I didn't get sweats but spent weeks crying over everything ..l turned from someone who'd been really strong throughout .. to a blabbing wreck ..... I never knew it could be tamoxifen till I asked others on here, and realised it was quite common ..

I get a mild anti depressant  "Dosulepin" and just took one twice a day .. it evened out my mood swings really quicky ... I didn't need them for long , but they were a life saver for me .. think they should make us more aware of mood swings because if we were more prepaired we could have got those close to informed so they could understand what we go through in those early days ..

Chrissie x

• My oncologist suggested trying different brands of Tamoxifen as, strangely, it can be the actual coating that causes the problems. I did this and at my 3rd attempt found one that seemed to be ok for me so now I make sure I take the box with me when I go to the chemist with a new prescription. I rarely get the hot flushes and night sweats now. I’ve still got the occasional mood swings but I’ve been prone to them over the years and they’re not as bad as when I first started on Tamoxifen. I take propanolol for anxiety which help. My daughter has given me advice on an anti inflammatory diet as certain foods were causing my face to burn up so that’s helped too. xx

• Hi Chrissie 

My symptoms seem to be more manageable now that I’ve changed the brand of Tamoxifen. This took me 3 attempts till I found one that suited me. My oncologist advised trying this as she said it can be the coating that causes the problem. Who would have thought? I do agree thought that we should be made  more aware of the mood swing side effects when we’re getting told of the others. I take propanolol for anxiety now too xx