Tablets for 5-10 years after Radiotherapy

Morning everyone on this wet wet morning here,

im off to get my dressings changed today,has it really been 7 days since they took that C out of my right boob...

live been researching the tablets as have been told I will have to take Letrazole,but found that the one with the least side effects is Femara? Any advice or thoughts on this please ?

Jackie xxx

• Hi Jackie77,

I hope you're getting on OK with your continued recovery.

Unfortunately I'm not able to advise on your question, but please do talk this through with your doctor so you are fully informed about what you'll be taking.

Otherwise if anyone here has any experiences they can share on this then hopefully they'll be along soon.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi there Jackie I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this too. I had a lumpectomy five weeks ago and they found invasive cancer in the tissue they took. Yesterday went in for sentinel node biopsies. Will have to wait another four weeks for the results but been told will need radiotherapy and then tablets for five years afterwards. Would be nice to have some information beforehand to be aware of side effects etc.

Good luck on your journey and hope all goes well for you.

Mary x

• Hi Mary,

i only had my op 9 days ago,but need to be informed of what we will have to be taking and side effects etc although I know other people react differently,

Have you started your radiotherapy yet? 

Im waiting to see Consultant now for next step.... 

At least we can both say it’s gone after having had our operations!!!

Love Jackie xx

• I had to have the sentinel node biopsies yesterday as they want to check it’s not travelled anywhere else so won’t know for four weeks now. Have been told I will have to have radiotherapy and medication but it won’t start until possibly October as won’t know results of yesterday until mid September then we are away for a week at end of September.

All best wishes on your journey, let’s keep in touch 

Love Mary xx

• Hi jackie

isnt Femara another name for letrazole? Im moving from tamoxifen to letrazole in a couple of weeks time. I found each woman reacts differently to the drugs, some have no side effects while others are beset by them.

having been through some horrible side effects with tamoxifen I’m hoping letrazole will be a breeze.

• Hi,

Yes Femara is another name for Letrazole but have been told to ask to have that one as it’s the purest and not full of fillers!! 

So sorry you’ve had a bad time on Tamoxifen.... let’s hope Letrazole is far better for you!!

Much love Jackie xxx

• Hi ladies,

i was really worried about taking tamoxifen as I’ve never been very good with pills, couldn’t take the pill, had a reaction to clomid.

ive been in it for 8 weeks and feel pretty good, I take it very early morning then by about 10pm I’m pretty exhausted, I took it later in the day once and was like a zombie the next day. 

My breast nurse always said though that you can change brands if you find you are suffering x

• Hi Ploppy,

As I’m post menopause Letrazole I’ve been told is the one I’ll have to take but if not suited to it there are others I can try!!! 

I’m going to push for Femara as have been told it’s the best one of Letrazole but still learning with all of this.... will ask Consultant when I go on 27th when I’m hoping he will have the results of my tumour biopsy? Have sent you a private friend request lovely.

xxxx

• Hi Maggie,

Have you started on Letrazole yet? hope you are getting on ok with it?

Would be so interested to know how you are going!!

Love Jackie xx

• met with oncologist the other week. She prescribed anastrozole as she says it comes with less side effects. I have to say it has reduced the hot flushes and night sweats. Still have stiff joints though but so far so good. Did yoou get Letrazole? When do you start your radiotherapy?