Symptoms?

Hi everyone,

New to this forum but desperately need to pick brains over actual experiences of symptoms. Internet is telling me all the physical symptoms but very broadly. What symptoms did you guys have that made you decide to go and see a GP? I’m having irregular and unusual bleeding, pain in lower abdomen, can’t seem to hold on to my urine very well and feel completely washed out and tired all the time. I’m 35 so not menopausal and cervical screening from last Dec came back clear. 

Any experiences of signs and symptoms appreciated xx

• Hi there - I don't have any of the experiences you describe & it must be worrying for you. With that in mind I do think it would be sensible to make an appt. to see your GP. There may be nothing much wrong but if there is you need to get it sorted out if for no other reason than peace of mind. Your GP won't think you are making a fuss or anything like that so off you go sweetie & sort it out. :)

All the best. x

• I’ve seen the GP and have been referred to a gynaecologist for a biopsy and scan. Just curious as to other people’s symptoms and experiences xx

• I had three smears recently, two not readable and the last one all clear however I’ve had this niggle / uncomfortable feeling for ages so went to doctor she did internal and felt swelling. Scans showed something - had to have four lots altogether. Went for hysteroscopy last week and I was in so much pain as she tried to do it I’ve got got go to hospital Friday for that to be carried out and loop excision of cervix and possible laparoscopy- I’m absolutely bricking it! But I have to get up for a wee at least twice in the night, it’s like I can’t empty my bladder properly.. then from time to time I get a sudden very sharp electrical type stabbing pain in pelvis. My bloods showed high protein levels too like I’m trying to fight an infection.

• Hi and thankyou for your response,

It certainly sounds like you’ve been through the mill, my thoughts are with you and wish you the absolute best of luck for everything to come. 

I’m having a similar experience with my bladder, something is definitely different about peeing, needing to go more frequently, feels like too much pressure there, it’s driving me crazy at night! 

I seem to read a lot of experiences of hysterectomies being done before biopsy results come back, is this common? 

Many thanks, Caz. 

• Hiya Caz, I have not heard that before. Nobody has mentioned hysterectomy to me yet anyway and I haven't read anything about that on the Macmillan site which I have been using.  Are you on that?  I find talking on there very useful.  Are you UK based?  But yes, it definitely seems to me like there is "pressure" on my bladder not like a cystisis type feeling at all where you feel you still need to pee again but something isn't right.  We know our own bodies don't we? 

So where are you at? Have you seen your GP and in the "system" as such? 

All the best x

• Hi Queen, and thankyou for your response,

No I’m not on there, depending on what the definite diagnoses is maybe I’ll join. It’s very helpful to pick the brains of people that have actually had these experiences, Dr Google doesn’t get to the nitty gritty of all the bits people would rather not talk about! 

I was a little concerned at the amount of people that were sent for hysterectomies whilst awaiting biopsy results and wondered if that was the usual protocol, but then again, cases and illnesses vary so broadly so who can say. 

I’m at the doorway of the system I think, been having persistent symptoms for a fair few months which prompted me to request an early cervical screening, which as I said, came back clear, you’re spot on though, I know my body is behaving differently, went back to my GP when ‘me and hubby time’ became painful, like a horrible aching feeling very low down in the abdomen and what I can only describe as another complete light period for the few days following. GP didn’t say much following a physical exam but has rushed me through for a biopsy and scan in the next 2 weeks, the silence was deafening whist she was tapping away on her keyboard, I always feel like they know more than they say! 

Just wanted to know if others had shared these symptoms, what prompted you to seek medical advice? xx

• Oh I know! Don't get me started. I came out of my ultrasound scan and out of the hospital in tears as the look on the Sonographer's face spoke volumes. It's the unknown that is the worry. It is almost eating away at me. 

Yes, jiggy time I'm in severe discomfort in fact, haven't had any of that for ages :-( I did have bleeding afterwards but had cryosurgery as they said it was entropian? But I haven't had any abnormal bleeding since but then again I haven't had sex for ages so god knows...

Can I ask where you came across people being sent for hysterectomies before biopsy?  A biopsy will detect cancer or not - I very much doubt they would do a hysterectomy unless they knew for sure it was cancer? My road so far has been an ultrasound scan with gel on belly and then the vaginal wand scan - they're done together, then I went to hospital as the scan showed up "something" for an attempted biopsy (hysteroscopy) but that was incredibly painful so that's why I have to go to hospital of Friday for that and the loop and possible laparascopy. Then I will have weeks of waiting again. It's absolute torture not knowing.  I just want to know what's wrong.  BTW a hysteroscopy (apparently) isn't that painful but my consultant said about 10% experience severe pain like I did.  I think the NHS like to do them without anaesthetic as obviously it's cheaper.

Well at least you're in the system.  Do you have any dates of when your next appointment will be? x

• No dates as yet, was just told to wait for a phone call. 

Oh no, I think I may have confused hysterectomy for hysteroscopy! That would make much more sense, I was starting to worry that the NHS had some kind of uterus harvesting going on! I’m so sorry about that mistake, I didn’t mean to cause any panic, I will try and find those posts again to confirm my error. Thank goodness I spoke to you! 

The GP also felt my abdomen and it caused a sharp pain, I bled quite badly after the exam and swabs etc. 

Oh poor you to have gone through that discomfort! And no doubt you’re thrilled about the possibility of further pains with these upcoming appointments! Can they not give you gas and air at least? I know they do that for dislocations and the like, surely someone literally taking a hole punch of your intimates warrants some kind of pain relief?! 

It’s a horrible feeling to be in limbo about your health, I feel like my symptoms and experiences don’t really deserve my worry when i bear in mind what other people here are experiencing, but I find it difficult to talk to people around me and it’s such a relief to admit im worried! 

When are you due anymore results or updates? xxx

• Hi Caz

Definitely a hysteroscopy and not hysterectomy!  I’ve had punch biopsies and a hysteroscopy with no form of anaesthetic and didn’t feel anything really, the nurse kept me distracted chatting. 

I’m post menopausal so bleeding and pelvic pain took me to the gp. xx

• Hi Minska, thanks for your reply,

I know, what a wally I am! I was wondering to myself how on earth they can take someone’s womb without knowing if there’s something wrong! I feel so embarrassed! Guess it really is good to talk!

Its reassuring to hear that you didn’t have any problems with your biopsy, I’ll be a little nervous but needs must for the good of your health.

Can you describe your pelvic pain to me at all? Was it constant or intermittent? When are you due any results?

Xxx