Swollen lymph nodes and night sweats

Hi all,

I have been to the doctors over and over since Christmas after getting flu/infection a little too frequently. I was very run down and getting night sweats. Nodes in my neck were also swollen and i had frequent pain/irritation under my armpits and chest too. Doctor told me I had a throat infection and I had a course of antibiotics last week. I am also having a chest echo this Friday to investigate chest pain/irregular heartbeat. The doctor also suspected my symptoms could be caused by anxiety. However I have started getting night sweats again, every night since monday i wake up at around 3am on the dot often drenched in sweat. My nodes are also still swollen and can be quite tender when i move my head. I also have pain in my ears quite often and hot flushes in my face, as well as still having a slightly tender throat. I am worried as i have been to the doctor three times this month and my symptoms are disregarded as anxiety due to having a throat infection. However I have had the antiobiotics now and the night sweats and swollen/tender nodes have gotten worse if anything. All that was eliminated was the sore throat and fatigue which still persists to an extent. What should I do? I want to go the doctor again but I don't know if my symptoms could still be caused by "residue" of the infection and I am missing many mornings from work for appointments. But i fear the longer I leave it the worse any issue could be getting. Thanks guys

• Welcome to the forum marc although I'm sorry about the tricky situation you find yourself in at the moment.

Hopefully you'll get some advice from our members who have been in similar positions but maybe you could try seeing a different doctor to get a second opinion.

I hope your chest echo went well on Friday and that you're able to find out what is causing your symptoms soon.

All the best, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hey there, 

I'm sorry you feel so awful. Maybe you need to see a different GP? Even if this whole thing was anxiety that's still a really horrible thing to experience and needs treatment of its own. 

Before xmas I caught a cold/chest infection I had three courses of antibiotics and it still hasn't completely gone. I was chatting to a consultant at the hospital (in with dad) and he said he'd had it last year and it lasted 7 weeks and he told me the reason the antibiotics weren't working was because it is viral. This time of year there are so many colds and flu around so I almost expect to catch something awful tbh!! A couple of times I've thought "have I got lung cancer? Or throat cancer?" Etc... But I'm only thinking that because my dad has been diagnosed and my sensitivity is heightened. I would see a different doctor and go from there. 

Best wishes. 

Xxxxx