Support

Hello,

I am new. I am 47yrs old , married mother of two. I need help trying to figure this all out. Driving myself crazy reading, and not getting any sleep.

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and goiter. My doctor also has sent me to a hemotologist. Whom I see this Monday. I will not see the Endocrinologist until Dec. 5th so I will not have any input on the goiter until then. I'm really nervous that it may be cancer of some sort. My platelets have been elevated for a while so have my rdws, that is reason my doctor told me she was sending me to the hematologist. My thyroid is rather large and I have swollen lyphnodes as well in my neck under my jaw. I really don't know what to expect at the hematologist....i guess I am just looking for support or answers??? Help?

• Hi Rayzlight,

I see that this is your first post to the forum, so a very warm welcome to Cancer Chat.

I am so sorry to hear about your thyroid and goitre problems and the worry this is causing you. It is so difficult to calm yourself at times like this. Every emotion seems to go through your head and you seem to come to the conclusion that you are looking at the worst case scenario.

I would hope that this is not the case, especially when you have not been fast referred for further investigation. Waiting for tests and then results, is always a scary time. Try to distract yourself, by keeping as busy as you can. Unfortunately, you have longer to wait for thyroid cancer than for some other cancers, so you will have to be patient.

If you want to find out more about thyroid cancer from those who are experiencing it first-hand, why not use the search engine on the blue banner at the top of this page? This will bring you to previous posts on the subject.

I sincerely hope that there is no cancer present and that routine treatment can control your problems. You may not get many answers from your first visit to the haematologist, as they will probably take bloods and then you will have to wait for the results.

Please let us know how your appointments go. We are always here for you whenever you want to talk.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Jolamine,

Thanks for your response. Yes it takes a while to see a endocrinologist here. The earliest was Dec 5th.  The hematologist will be tomorrow Monday the 20th. I'm nervous I really don't know what to expect and no one (gen dr. ) is talking,  so it leaves me to my own devices (computer).  Any insight is good at this point, I just feel the need to be prepared. For what I don't know but I'm trying to keep my mind open.

Rayzlight

•  

Hi Rayzlight,

You will have lots of questions for the consultants. Try to write down a list of questions before each visit and make sure that you ask them all. If you can take someone with you to all of your appointments you will find this helpful too.

I hope that all goes well tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx