Subungual melanoma

I've had a brown line down the middle of my thumb nail for years and never thought anything of it until recently, when I saw something on the Internet about it.

I'm 26 years old, nowhere near the typical age for subungual melanoma, although I've read that it can happen in younger ages but isn't common. 

Is this something I should be concerned about? I'm going to make an app iontophoresis mentioned with the doctor just incase. 

Thank you x

• Welcome to Cancer Chat svaughan although I'm sorry for the reason it brings you here.

It can be scary coming across something online that you think may relate to something you have but I think making an appointment to see your doctor is a good idea as they will be able to have a look at your thumb and let you know if the brown line going down the middle is anything to be concerned about. Our cancer nurses usually say that doctors would prefer people to get something checked as even if it turns out to be nothing it's always good to be safe and getting a diagnosis from a medical professional will help put your mind at ease as well.

I hope your appointment with the doctor goes well svaughan. Do come back and let us know how you get on if you get a chance. We'll have our fingers - and thumbs - crossed for good news :)

Kind Regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi, did you ever find out what caused it as I have something very similar on my thumb.xx

Thank you

• Hi, did you ever find out what it was? I have almosf the exact same line down my thumb, slighlty worried:/

• I have the same problem,  a faint brown vertical line under my thumbnail going from the top to the bottom of my nail. I noticed it around two month ago. Thought it was strange because I haven't injured or damaged it. After researching it on Google it has left me very concerned. It hasn't gone away nor has it got worse so I decided to call my doctors and am booked in for a telephone appointment Monday. Did you ever find out what it was?