Struggling

My dad is currently at the final stages of his lung cancer, he is 68 I'm 38. I can't cope with seeing him in these final days and have to keep leaving the room to break down continuously over and over. I feel I have been living a nightmare for the past 6 months from his diagnosis.  He had already beaten cancer twice. He is my hero.he is kind.he is a gentleman. I can't cope without him. I am broken  

• Hi Dane, I am so sorry this is happening to you and to your Dad, it is so tough. I remember when my Dad was dying I found it almost impossible to see him in such pain and distress, but I got through it by making sure he had the best pain relief and was comfortable and then reminding myself he needed a loving face to look at when he was conscious. It was hard, but I kind of parked my grief until I had time to address the loss fully (does that make sense?!). Nothing will make his passing any easier, but knowing that you were there, you held his hand, you talked to him and you were present will make you feel better eventually. I wasn't there when my Dad died, but I was when my Mum died and it was actually quite beautiful and a privilege. I know that might sound weird, but being there until the end gave me such peace. I hope your Dad is comfortable and I am sending lots of love to you. You will get through it, your love for your Dad and his for you will pull you through X

• Thank you for your reply.

Dad passed yesterday.  The pain is unbearable it hurts so much. I  know 68 is not young but it's not old either and I can't get  over that he's been taken from us too soon. I hope the pain becomes bearable but I see no future of it easing. Thanks for your kind words

• I am so sorry for your loss, Dane. Our thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time. 

We are all here for you anytime you need to talk. Sincere condolences on behalf of the Cancer Chat team. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hello 

I am so sorry for your loss of your Father I lost my beautiful Dad in 2021 to cancer I fell apart and I asked the same thing you have and to be honest I still do ask how can I do this with out my Dad he was my best friend I spoke to him every day and struggle for awhile and you will cause everyone else will carry on in there lives which us only human but I promise you this which i never believed it will become easier the pain won't go but you learn to cope with it you learn to appreciate things in life and when you smile talk to your Dad or smile and think of your Dad I do often or something will happen ill laugh and say or Dad! I love you.

I hope you have ppl round you but yo be honest I went on walks in the countryside with my music on through headphones it helped me alot I hope you are ok cause I no the pain your going through please reach out if you are struggling.

• Thank you for your kind words. I have been taking long walks with my dog around the coast for most of the mornings. I'm finding this has helped me balance and be more functional. 

Although still hard each day has had slight progression. 

Thanks for all the support I have received