Struggling

my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer of the oesophagus in December. In January we were told that it was inoperable and that it has already invaded the top of the stomach and was also in the lymph nodes and the peritoneal cavity. So far he has had 3 different types of chemo, and is now two weeks post radiotherapy course. The radiotherapy was very harsh on him and has left him with a massive amount of pain when drinking or eating - his doctors say this is normal but he says the pain is unbearable and he NEVER usually complains.. it seems that the radiotherapy has been so much harder on him than any of the chemos have been.

any advice from anyone who has had the same treatment would be great 

• Hello TEJAGS64,

Welcome to Cancer Chat!

It does sound like your husband is going through an intolerable level of pain and as you mentioned he is someone who never complains, I think it is important to get this looked into. I would suggest you go back to the doctors and insist that the pain is unbearable and ask whether there is anything they can suggest to give him get a bit of relief and to help him drink and eat comfortably.

Perhaps you would like to talk this through with our nurses too? You can call them on this free number if you live in the UK 0808 800 4040 - their line is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

I also hope that you will soon hear from someone else here who has had the same treatment and that they will share their experience with you.

I do hope your husband's pain subsides soon and that he feels better. Do let us know what the doctors suggest if you get a chance!

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator