Struggling

Hello all.

I don't really know where to turn and after viewing these forums for a while, I thought I would post. I'm 25 years old and I recently lost my mum to stage 4 Colon Cancer last month. She had been fighting it for five years but the last six months were a struggle with her being admitted to hospital for various infections until she finally couldn't fight any longer. 

Since her passing i just feel broken inside. I've tried for years to prepare myself in case this would happen but there's no explaining how I feel. I'm trying to look after my dad and brother but I'm just finding it really hard. I don't live with my dad and brother anymore and I'm constantly worrying about them. My dad has done amazing but I know he is struggling too. My family have been amazing and especially my wife. She has been there for me every day of my moms journey and since her passing and I would seriously be in an even worse place if it wasn't for her. Since my moms passing all I've found myself doing is sitting at my computer playing games, it's the only way I can put myself in another world and just forget about what has happened but I know it's affecting my wife as I've been distant the last month but I just can't bring myself to just sit and watch tv because my mind goes in to overdrive. 

Ive been back to work the last two weeks and everyone has been great but I'm sick to death of hearing cliches like 'she's in a better place' or 'things will get easier in time'. I know they're trying to help but I'm just not ready to hear these things yet. 

Does anyone have any coping methods which might help? I know my life is not going to be the same again but I don't want to act the way I am now because I'm just going to end up pushing people away and that would leave me heartbroken.

Sorry for the essay, just needed to get things off my chest. 

• Just wanted 2 say hi so sorry 2 read about the loss of u mum . I can't really give u a advice I 2 lost my mum 2 bowel cancer 3 years she had it  then last October she was told the tumour on her bowel what they found it was inoperable and there was nothing they can do. My mum didn't want 2 know how long she got . My wonderful mum passed away 2/8/17 we had her funeral 14/8/17 nothing prepares u 4 it I'm all over the place at the moment I just miss her so much :( sending u hug x 

• Welcome to our forum, ZacG.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum and that you are struggling with your emotions, but you did the right thing by coming here as chatting to people who can understand what you are going through might help.

As you asked for suggestions on coping methods, I thought of this page from our website I wanted to share with you, it addresses the grieving process and there you can find some tips that I hope will help you to cope with this painful period. 

And just remember, there will always be someone here if you need a chat.

Warm wishes,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator

• I know you must hear this all the time but I know how you are feeling. 

I'm 27 and my mum passed away at home on Boxing Day last year. My dad and brother live at home and I have my own flat and I do worry constantly about them. 

There are days that will come where you honestly will find life feels normal but then there are going to be days where it's so tough. Today is a tough day for me. I try to keep myself busy most days with work and other chores. 

It feels like it's never going to get easier but slowly it will become easier to 'cope' with. I miss my mum terribly, I wanna tell her about my day and useless things and I know I can't. It's going to be a really tough time for a while before we start to heal but it does happen. Everyonebody said the same things to me and I didn't wanna hear it or believe it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and I hope you and your family are getting by for the time being. If you ever need someone to talk to or someone to just listen to you, i'm happy to listen.

Take care x

• So sorry for your lost.
    I really hate those sayings too and I also never wish harm on anyone but I really am so jealous of people who have all their family and are happy. I have had not one friend contact me to see how I am because they are all too busy with their perfect lives! I also know that it would hurt at any age but really find it difficult when someones says I lost my Mum too and she was 80+ . I could only wish and I assume yours was younger than mine.
    I do not have a Dad or a Mum.

My husband has been there for me but I can not talk to him as he has lost two brothers and the loss is so different. My Mum was my best friend. She only found out she had cervical cancer back in Sept/Oct 2016 and we honestly thought she would beat it. The last week she went down hill so fast. I blame myself in ways and also the Drs in others. I can not believe she is gone. I am struggling so much and even thou it has been shy of three weeks and people just say it is fresh and times heals, I do not see this happening!
    Oh yeah and I have resorted to playing games on my computer too..... my husband came in and I was bawling my eyes out and he goes are you ok, what are you trying to do? Thinking I was trying to deal with some more estate business.... (I am the excutor of Mums will and oh the garbage people want. Harrassment for money.) Anyway I replied no I am trying to take my mind of things and this game is not helping. He said your mind is NEVER goingt to stop thinking about your Mum. :(
    Hug and thoughts to you and your family

Sam x

• hi.you are completely normal in how you are feeling so understand that 1st.ive lost my brother 5 young cousins and now 11 wereks ago my 56 year old husband to cancer.so i know grief all too well.you wont be able to watch telly or read a book for a while as you have marshmallo brain that wont absorb anything .your body is trying to recalculate itself with the loss of a very important person in your life .im trying to help our kids who are your age with this right now as well.on top of dealing with my own internal feelings of loss.i hate people sayiing also .you will get over it .time heals .your a strong person and its time to move on ..or that cancers a journey..if it was wed have our bags packed and go on a cruise.unfortunately we live in a replaceable world now  marriages and relationships come n go .kids have diff fathers than their siblings its a complicated workd.but allow yourself the grief thats important..tell your wife im sorry i know im distant at mo but i do love you its just im trying to get my head around it all. include your dad and brother in your life nd cherish your family ..you will grow as a person from this you are going to have some hard days thats normal and esp 3 months or so down the track .so look after eat healthy and lotsa rest 

• hi Sam yes you are so right .its very hard and the will etc also adds complications when you are the executor.i dont know how ive ggot through the last 11 weeks after loosing my awesome 56 year old husband Alex ....cancer is stripping the world of some fab people and yet others in the world who terrorise and harm people keep living ....

• Shobro, Exactly how I feel in regards to this cruel world. How it takes so many of the good ones young and then leave behind the murderers etc.