Stomach cancer

Hi folks.

I'm sure you all have your own problems. Sorry to be bothering you. 

My father has recently been diagnosed with stomach/lung cancer. He has a tumour in stomach and one in lung. The stomach tumour is causing him the most pain and problems. Doctor said surgery is not an option. I read on the internet that stomach surgery seems like a reasonable treatment to help with stomach cancer. 

He was in good health, aged 74 . Is there anything we can do to persuade doctors to consider surgery? 

Many thanks for any advice. 

• Hello Allyccc

I'm sorry to hear that your father has recently been given this diagnosis. I'm sure it's been a difficult time for you all. 

Treatment options depends on where the cancer is in the stomach, how big it is, whether it has spread anywhere else in the body and the patients general health. Your Dad's Consultant will be best placed to explani why they feel that surgery isn't an option for your Dad at this point. 

If you'd like to talk to one of our nurses in the first instance you're welcome to give them a call. They're available on 0808 800 4040, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• We recently took my father in law to hospital as he also has stomach cancer.  He is 78. We took him to his local hospital and they basically told him they would manage symptoms,  he wasn't strong enough for surgery or chemo due to having a stroke.  

He then came to live with us in another area of Scotland and within 6 weeks have offered him a gastrectomy with the hope of getting rid of the cancer.  Still no chemo though.  We feel grateful for this.  

Can you ask for a second opinion any where.  

Hope you are staying strong,  

Deirdre 

• Hi Gigi.

Thanks for your reply and I truly wish you all the very best for your father. 

With my father, the doctor at the time decided to remove 3/4 of his stomach. A major operation. He lived happily for a year after the operation.  Unfortunately the cancer came back in his stomach and bowel,

He passed away early this morning. We are heart broken. I hope that your father can over come this horrible disease. 

All the very best. 

• Oh my goodness.  I am so sorry to hear that. What a terrible time for you all. Yes, my father in law was in denial about his cancer so was happy not to have any treatment so when the surgeon offered him a gastrectomy he wasn't keen.  We have told him he only has this chance really or he will only have a year or 18 Months. 

It's not without risk but like your dad there are no options.  

It's so sad it didn't go better for you all but I really hope you got more time together.  

We just have to take a chance I guess.  

Please look after each other.  Sending love, 

Gigi x

• Thanks very much Gigi. 

The operation is absolutely worth a go. In my experience anyway. 

Best of luck for the future. 

Regards 

• Hi there, 

I hope this finds you well.  You must be having a difficult time just now.  

I am really sorry to bother you but your father's situation sounds very similar to my FIL. He has also had 3/4 of his stomach removed but cancer has been found in about 10 of 20 lymph nodes removed.  Did this happen to your dad? 

We have been given the option of chemotherapy but will probably decline as we think he also has a bit of dementia.  He has lost lots of weight.  

Thanks for your help.  Sending love,  Gigi