stomach cancer

My mom is 87 and newly diagnosed with stomach cancer. She had stomach stent a week ago and appears to be doing well along with being positive. We have been given little information of grading/stage.  We see huge progress with her health but are We fooling ourselves.

•  

Hi Nuppa,

At 87 your mum’s cancer will hopefully progress a little slower than it might in a younger person. Do you attend her appointments with her? I always take someone with me. They can help me to remember to ask certain questions and also to remember some of the answers given. When I attend these appointments I can only remember a small portion of what is said to me afterwards.

It is also a good idea to put your heads together and to draw up a list of questions for her consultant. You won’t be alone in doing this. Several of us do this to ensure that we don’t forget to ask important questions.

Try to avoid surfing the Internet as we always think the worst when we do this. There is no need to cause unnecessary worry. I am glad to hear that you are both managing to stay positive. Whether or not you are fooling yourselves only time will tell, but I hope not.

Do let us know how your mum gets on.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx