Still waiting

I was referred by my GP 7 weeks ago to the Breast Clinic as an urgent case. Still am waiting to hear anything from Breast Clinic. 

I've phoned my GP twice in those 7 weeks as the first tim ei saw her she advised i would hear within 2 weeks and then when i phoned to chase up she said I would hear in another couple of weeks - still nothing. Chased again yesterday and she's now changed the time frame to months! 

I have phoned the Breast Clinic and they said months even for an urgent case - they both keep saying it's becasue of my age it isn't that urgent - I'm 26 at the end of the month but both my mum at this age had a lump removed and my nan went through breast cancer. 

It's eating me inside that they keep changing the time frame - the lump has got slighlty bigger in this time and the pain is worse - I told them this but it didn't seem to change anything! 

Is anyone else having trouble with time scales? 

• Hi and thanks for the post

I'm sorry you are having this very stressful time waiting to be seen - it's horrid waiting for tests and referrals.

I know it won't help knowing this, but although the guidelines try and get people with a breast lump to be seen within the 2 weeks ,this doesn't necessarily apply for people under the age of 30 .

The reason for this being that lumps in your breast in your 20s are more likely to be due to cysts, or benign, non cancerous lumps like fibroadenoma. There are exceptions to this obviously, but they are not seen very often.

Clinics will normally try and see people in this age group in the 2 weeks, but if the clinics are overloaded and due to the pandemic there is a big backlog, it may not be possible to be seen in this time frame.

When you ring the breast clinic again for an update, do say you'd also like to be put on a cancellation list.

I'm sorry you have this wait - the only alternative is seeing whether you can be seen privately, although I appreciate this may not be possible for you to do. If you're worried about your breast cancer risk because of your gran, it shouldn't necessarily put you on an increased level as she will be a 2nd degree relative and if she was over 50 , again this may make it more likely that it  is not a familial altered gene.

I know none of this will help reassure you - but the majority of people referred to breast clinics will not have cancer.

Try and not let your thoughts run away with you if you can

All the best

Wanda

• Hi,

I'm so sorry you're having to wait. I saw my GP with a lump on a Tuesday, referred to the breast clinic as urgent and got phoned with an appointment on the Wednesday for the following Monday so only 6 days I had to wait to be seen. At the clinic I had an ultrasound and told on the day my lump was nothing to worry about. But I know those 6 days of waiting were probably the worst of my life so I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this long wait. Just to try and reassure you when I was at the clinic I was in a right state and they told me they see lots of young woman at the clinic (I was 32) and most dont have cancer so as hard as it is, try not to think the worst. I'd keep phoning the clinic to see if they have cancellations cause you have waited long enough!

Let us know how you get on xx

• Thank you for this reply! Means a lot. 

some days i'm good and i forget about it and then other days it's constantly on my mind. 

thanks again xx

• Thank you!! hopefully won't be too much longer to wait