Stay Strong

I have time to write this as hubby is asleep on his sheepskin that I bought him during his rip van winkle period.  The chemo has kicked in and a sore mouth, split lips and terrible indigestion are all fighting to be the worst of the bunch.  I tell him that if he had lost weight I could chuck him over my shoulder and burp him, but we know my force feeding is stopping that!  Our daughter says that her Dad is probably one of few to have gained weight and we laugh saying I should write a book on how to do this whilst having chemo.  How have you done it she asks and I tell her with threats, which have always worked well in our 47 years of marriage! !  James Cook hospital tomorrow morning for our radiotherapy talk, I'll let you know how it goes.

•  

Hi Carol,

I am glad to hear that you are still managing to persuade your hubby to eat, but not so happy to hear about the side-effects of his chemo. Has he been given any medication to help lessen these effects?

I hope that all goes well at the hospital tomorrow.

Thinking of you both.

Jolamine xx

• No, none has ever been given after the day eight dose, we have bought our own medication from our lovely chemist, the rest has been down to us.   He has anti sickness tablets but is not sick!

•  

Hi Carol,

The same happened to us when we were looking after Mum. I eventually asked her doctor if there wasn't anything that could help her mouth ulcers. She asked what I'd suggest. I had previously nursed other relatives who had the same problem, so I suggested that Nizoral Spray might help.

This was duly prescribed and would have lain on her bedside cabinet untouched in the hospice if I hadn't applied it myself. Although we didn't have enough time to clear it completely before she died, as  she was only in the hospice for a few days, it did help.

It might be worth asking your husbands GP or Cancer team if they feel that this might be suitable for your hubby.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Thanks for the advice.   It's  difficult losing your Mum to cancer mine died of myeloma and dementia, a savage combination.   Carol 

•  

No problem,

I am sorry to hear about your Mum. We are currently trying to care for my 96 year old Father-in-law and my 94 year old Mother-in-Law who has severe dementia - that's hard enough without any additional complications!

Jolamine xx

• Goodness you are having a hard time.   Mum had to go in a home in the end being on her own.  I think caring for her has helped me cope with this, it certainly gives you a broader outlook on life.  Carol