Staging

Hi,

itsbeen a while since I've been in here. I wondered if anyone could help me. My partner now has had three chemo rounds. He was told by his consultant he had stage 3 cancer bowel  cancer However we have just read a copy of his consultants letter which states stage 3-4  and a grading of pt4a grade 2 we have no idea what this means ?

can anyone help 

thank you 

• Hi Lisa,

Hope chemo is going okay for hubby. 

I don't know a lot about bowel cancer staging but have you seen the information from the cancer research site:

www.cancerresearchuk.org/.../stages-types-and-grades

Hope you are keeping well. ( was lucky and didn't have to go for more surgery after Consultant double-checked pathology). 

Take care, Sunny x

• Hi Sunny,

lovely to hear from you. Glad you had good news. We knew the tumour was a stage 4 tumour but he was told he had been staged at 3. On the letter we saw addressed to go it said stage 3-4 , whatever that means. We have always been told stage 3 . So bit upset . 
    so glad you are ok

hope billy is too

hubbies chemo going okish he had an extravasion last week so been dealing with that .

lisa x

l

• My best guess you've got the T4a from the TNM staging we talked about before. You already knew the tumour was borderline in terms of staging (at the edge of 3 - I've gone in and found your old post following the call with Oncologist and pasted it in below, so letter says nothing you didn't know already). Hence the chemo. (Not sure what the p stands for)

In addition, if my understanding of the cancer research staging information is correct, grade 2 is good news (not most agressive grade 4) but a lower grade of tumour. Sunnyxx

• Hi Lisa,

Just saw your speedy reply to me!

I don't think there's anything horrible and new in the Consultant's letter but do understand that seeing new terms can be frightening. I'm thinking back to the telephone call you had with hubby's Oncologist. My understanding from what you said then was that it was borderline in terms of staging so 3-4. Hopefully 3. Oncologist sitting on the fence a little. Like the tumour. Remember the tumour is only T4a not T4b. That too is good news.

Sorry the last chemo didn't go so smoothly. It can happen. 

Is it 3 more chemo to go? It can be draining. When you start a new thread putting Bowel Cancer in the title can help with getting replies from the people who have experience with that cancer.

Wishing you both well. Sunny xx

• Hi Lisa,

Here's your posting just after the Oncologist rang. So 3-4 is on the borderline just as you posted. Love Sunny xx

Hi all,

Just off phone. It's been staged as stage 3 . On edge if 4 . 
    high risk of reoccurrence as near blood vessels so a lot to take in 

going to digest this afternoon 

hugs to everyone 

Lisa 

• Thank you sunny. Once again I'm all over the place it's like the panic has set in.

i will post in vowel cancer. I'm not good at these kind of things. So pleased that you are ok

Lisa 

• Hi Lisa,

Please try not to panic again.

Remember Oncologist gave clear plan of chemo, followed by scan and then likely more surgery (he didn't think chemo would be sufficient because margins positive and some tumour still to be removed - have gone back through previous posts to try and reassure you that Oncologist hasn't been hiding information). Everything you've been told to date is in line with the staging info given above.  

Cancer treatment is tough. Why not put a post up on Caring for Someone with Bowel Cancer now hubby is half-way through Chemo given that extravision? I think the extravision might have thrown you and some support from others who have gone through similar procedures might be helpful.

For the Staging query you could try posting in the Ask the Nurses section and head your query Bowel Cancer Staging (if no one answers here and you are still puzzling).

I feel the best thing is for you to concentrate on the treatment plan you have and wait until hubby gets his next scan. Don't want you getting back into monster worry mode again. Remember Oncologist best placed to explain things relevant to particular case.

Sunny xx

• Hi Lisa. 

Noticed your in panic mode again. 

Hope your having a look at bowel cancer stage and it'll reassure you like sunny says and you can talk to others going through same thing. 

I'm struggling last couple of days, toothache decided to have a go at me. 

And my cancer count has jumped up, waiting for oncologist to get things sorted, always waiting isn't it. 

I'm still positive and still fighting,. 

Come on you can do it. 

Billy 

• Hi Billy,

lovely to hear from you. Sorry about your tooth. I know that pain. Remember lockdown? Also sorry about your cancer count. You sound so calm and I wish I could be as you are. I'm just a panicked . Rabbit in headlights mode

bad news too. I lost both my fish . Two days apart. Not sure why. Was very upset as had them

for 7 years . Not getting anymore at

moment but may do in future.

thank you Billy

lisa 

• Hi Lisa. 

So sorry about your goldfish they would have been lovely with chips.. 

It's possible it was the heat it can take the oxygen out the water, especially if the pond isn't very big and the fish are. Hope your getting some more, still like to taste one, 

Oncologist is putting me on new meds she's admitted she gave me wrong ones hence rise. New ones are for sex change so not sure about that. But have to try and see what happens. 

Love Billy xxx