Stage 4 Pancreatic

Hi all, just needing some support & advice.

My lovely mum was diagnosed with stage 4 Pancreatic cancer around 10 days ago. We were totally shocked, as until a few weeks ago she had no symptoms. Also, the cancer has spread to her liver & lungs.

She has been offered the possibility of some palliative chemotherapy, which she is holding onto as some kind of ‘hope’ - but am worried about whether she would be strong enough to cope with it. She is 73, and already walks with 2 sticks - plus the last few days she has been quite down and withdrawn. 

I’m 38 and her only child, and have moved in with her to be her carer. My dad died many years ago.

im just feeling quite helpless as she’s very anxious and sad and struggling to take it all in. I’m home alone with her all day and don’t know how I’m going to keep this up. Especially as - even with chemo - the prognosis is pretty poor (6 months, optimistically).

It all seems to impossible and she’s just not ready to die. 

Any advive on what might make the days more bearable? 

Thanks in advance xxxx 

• Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you and your mum are going through this right now. I can't imagine how difficult it must be. As someone who cares for an aging parent (my mum is 84 and lives with me), my advice would be to reassure her in whatever way you can that you are there for her, that you love her. Can you take any day trips, or go for rides to see the countryside or visit any places that you both have fond memories of? If you are people of faith, spend some time in your church or with your pastor, if you can.  Here is one of my favorite prayers of comfort:

"Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and every day. Either He will shield you from suffering, or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace, then, put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations, and say continually: 'The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart has trusted in Him and I am helped. He is not only with me but in me and I in Him."

~Saint Francis de Sales 

Laura xx

• Hi,

l just wanted to say l understand that this is a frightening time for you and your mum, this is all new to me to but we have found that talking open and honestly has helped us both, also still laughing and being normal is good too. There are no  or right and wrong ways to be as everyone so different.

Making memories together is good no matter what they are they are the things that will always be there in your heart.

Reading together, listening to music, remembering things you enjoyed in the past will all help you get through. Could you take her to a special place that means a lot to you both maybe on a scooter or in a chair if she little in firm? Whatever you do she will know you there for her.

Make sure you speak to someone about your feelings and wellbeing too as that’s important to look after yourself so that you can support your mum. 

Hope this helps.

LaineyC. xxx