Stage 4 lung cancer - anyone been in similar situation?

Hi all,

My mother in law was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 weeks ago. She was in hospital with bad head pain and a scan revealed what they believe to be a primary lung tumour that has spread to produce 2 small tumours in her brain. There also may be some spread to the adrenal gland. They have said its stage 4, inoperable and that she will receive palliative care. Has anybody been in a simular situation at all and may be able to give us an idea of how long she may have? Or indeed what these next few months may hold for her? We want to prepare for what we may have to face. She had some biopsies taken yesterday which we are assuming are to find out how aggressive the cancer is but we arent 100% sure. She is to go back next week for results.

Any help would be great.

Thanks all.

• Hello Hevrob70 and a warm welcome to our forum

I am so sorry to hear that your mother in law was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer only 2 weeks ago. The news must have come as a shock and unfortunately it is difficult for anyone including your mum in law's medical team to give you a prognosis or an indication as to how long she may have. I hope the biopsies that were taken yesterday will help shed some light on how aggressive her cancer is and that her results will provide some of the answers you are looking for. We also have some useful information on our website on what stage 4 lung cancer means. Feel free also to give our nurses a call on this free number 0808 800 4040  if you wish to talk things through with them - their line is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. 

I hope you will also meet others here who have been in a similar situation before or looked after a loved one with stage 4 cancer and that they will come and share their experiences with you. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator