Stage 4 Glioblastoma

My brother who is in his mid 30’s is in the last stages of this awful disease. He has battled it for 7 years but in the last few weeks it has taken hold and literally exploded in growth. He has become sleepy, confused, agitated and wobbly on his feet. The decline in his health is unbelievable and taken us all by surprise. It has only taken 2 months for the tumour to suddenly reactivate after all these years of no growth from the first diagnosis to become about 6 times the size it was before. It was always inoperable due to it’s location. 1 week ago he had his third hospital admission and an increase in steroids but 2 days ago we had the most recent consultation and received the bad news. Even in the last 2 days there is a deterioration. It is incredibly distressing as he doesn’t always know who we are are what is going on. He is very confused and I am not entirely sure that totally understands what is going on. The palliative nurses will visit this week to start helping us and him prepare for his death. Words cannot express the pain we are all feeling, the only saving grace is that he seems to be pain free.

• Hi SadBigSis and welcome to the forum.

I'm really sorry to read about your brother. I know there isn't much I can say or do to make this any better but I just wanted you to know that the Cancer Chat community are here for you.

I think there have been many discussions about this diagnosis on the forum so if you'd like to join in on any you're more than welcome to do so by using the 'search forum' option in the blue bar above.

Our thoughts are with you at this time SadBigSis.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hello. I would just like to let you know that I am in the exact same position as you. My Dad is 47 and was diagnosed in 2008 with a tumour. It is inoperable, he did receive radiation and chemotherapy but there was little or no growth. Since May it is has grown so much spreading all over his brain and we have been told he has weeks left with us now. It started that he was wobbly on his feet, falling over, exhausted and having seizures and confusion. Unfortunately we are in the worst of it now, we have pallative nurses in daily and Dad is now bed bound so we have carers too. I understand how you are feeling, the rapid decline and fear of what is next is so overwhelming. Happy to talk anytime and you aren’t not alone. 

• Hi BigSis, 

I'm so sorry to read what you are passing through.

I'm cancer survivor from a rare and severe form of ovarian cancer (i'm now 30) and fough for about 6 years. During this time I saw a lot of people passing away... one of episodes I consider more sad and bizarre  happened when by coincidence in 2014 I lived with 20 years old roomate who passed away a year later with a glioma.

I know your are passing throught a real nightmare, I can't express the compassionate I felt for you reading your words. 

I hope you have a lots of love surronded you, helping dealing with is. For your words I can understand the dedicated sister you are, so is not just about the fact he is not in pain, but the fact he was and he is loved. 

Please feel free to share any feeling or thought here.

Hope ypu can feel some comfort here. 

All my love S.

Take care!