Stage 4 bile duct with secondaries to lungs

Today my dad has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer of the bile duct with secondaries to the lungs. He is not unwell slightly jaundice but will be having the stent put into the bile duct to help that. He was offered 2 sorts of chemo one which was described as less toxic which he's thinking of having. The oncologist gave us a prognosis of 12 months without treatments and may gain an extra 5-12 months with treatment. I'm completely broken but trying to stay strong and keep dad going how quick will he deteriorate what should I expect from him being at the moment "well".any help.advice is appreciated.

• I'm very sorry about your dad's diagnosis Sjg. This must be very tough for you all at the moment but I'm sure some of our members who have been on this journey will offer their support and advice to you soon.

You can find out more about advanced bile duct cancer on our website but if you'd like to talk things through with someone and get an idea of what to expect as time progresses then you're very welcome to get in touch with one of our cancer nurses on 0808 800 4040. They're available Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m and they will do all they can to answer your questions and support you at this time.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator