Stage 4 Bile Duct Cancer - questions please help

My mother went in for surgery to remedy the narrowing of her bile duct and during that they discovered the cancer had affected the bile duct, a major blood vessel next to it and the lymph nodes.  This was only a few days ago so no referral to oncology yet. I've been told chemo will only prolong life and ultimately it's terminal.  My mum doesn't want chemo and wants to  pass away at home.  I'm sorry to bombard you all with questions but any responses gratefully received.

1. How long does she have to live?

2. How do I organise nursing care at home - who decides what she is entitled to? Is it funded by the NHS or is it something that needs to be paid for? My priority is to make her as comfortable as possible as the pain really upsets her.  Do I need to speak to her GP or the hospital about paliative care?

3. Not long after leaving intensive care, while still in hospital she started lashing out at the staff and has started telling friends and family that the staff are out to get her etc (I can only describe it as extreme paranoia).  There is no history of mental health issues so we think it may be a reaction to the morphine - but the behaviour continues when the painkiller was changed.  She was told (when in intensive care, so arguably still high on medication) about her cancer and that it is terminal.  Now she is much more lucid - and that may play a part.  Has anyone else come across this sort of behaviour? I've shared my concerns with the nurses so they are aware.  She's much more calm when family and friends are there - but continues to say she can't stay in hospital any longer. 

4. I've read that high doses of vitamins can help stabilise and prolong life.  Does anyone have any experience of this - if so which vitamins and where do you get them from?

I'm completely new to this, it's the first time anyone in my family has experienced this so I hope you don't mind all the questions.  Thank you so much.

• Welcome to Cancer Chat, Onken.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum's situation, this sounds like a very difficult time for you.

I'm afraid that I can't answer some of the questions you asked such as how long you mum has left but I do have some information from our website about bile duct cancer which I hope can be of some help.

Hopefully others who have been through a similar situation with their loved ones affected by cancer will be along shortly to chat with you and give advice.

Also, there is another page on the website called 'Coping practically' that might help with matters such as money matters, organising care, etc., and to read more about it just click on the link I've included here.

The other thing I wanted to add is that if you feel that asking these questions to someone medically trained on the phone might help, our cancer nurses are a phone call away on this number: 0808 800 4040 and their line is open Monday - Friday, between 9 a.m - 5 p.m.

I hope this helps a little, Onken.

Best wishes to you and your mum,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator