stage 3 cancer but spread to liver confused???

Hi everyone im really confused and wondering if anyone can help. My mother in law has stage 3 cervical cancer its massive 15 cm by 10 by 12 its spread to the top of the liver she is getting blood clots in her legs and alot of swelling in her stomach she is getting drained about once a week due to the rapid fluid build up. From what ive read if a cancer has spread its stage 4 but they are saying its stage 3. I dont understand . Also the info says that if she us getting swelling shd only had a few months left so why are they planning her surgery in January.. Heads all over the place at the minute. 

• Hello,

no expert just was initially diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer that subsequently spread to liver.Stage 4 cancer diagnosis does not preclude surgery, it would depend on positioning of tumours relative to vital areas of organs, ability to shrink tumours pre surgery by chemo/radiotherapy.if needed, in my case l had successful resection of both bowel and liver eight years ago.

The swelling and distention may be just linked to the growths and not from ascites indicating overwhelming spread, but this is a question for her treatment team,

At times it can look all too bleak as the stormclouds gather, but its also the case that these can be transitory and can move along to reveal clearer skies, so best to try and keep an open mind at this stage, bearing in mind her medical team are planning surgery.

Hope her treatment proves a success and you can allfind a less stressful way to cope in the meantime,

best wishes, David

• Hi Clare

I've been through advanced cervical cancer and had surgery so I have some experience. I may be able to help a little if you can perhaps clarify a couple of things? You say it has spread to the top of the liver  but is the spread actually in the liver itself And do you know what surgery is planned for your mother in law? 

Normally with stage 3 cervical cancer surgery is not possible, but it can be in certain circumstances. It would be stage 4 if it had actually spread to another organ, but if they are saying stage 3, it sounds like there is no actual spread to another organ. Sorry for the questions at such a difficult time for you, but a few more details may help me understand exactly what's going on. It's important to note that treatment for bowel cancer with spread to the liver is very different to treatment for advanced cervical cancer. x

• Thanks for that to be honest im really not very optimistic about a positive outcome she is so sick at the moment and i cant see her getting through this