Stage 2 her2 positive breast cancer

Hello, my mum got diagnosed with breast cancer in August after feeling a lump. Biopsy confirmed the cancer, she then went on to have a mastectomy in September. Today we finally got the pathology results after waiting 5 weeks for them: 

-The tumour is 48mm including breast calcifications

- it is Her2 + ve 

- ER +
- Stage 2 

- Lymph nodes are clear 

she now has to wait to start chemotherapy which will go on for up to 6 months and will receive Herceptin injections to target it all. And eventually have hormone tablets. 

She's 49. we are just looking for some reassurance and tips from others who have experienced or are currently  experiencing the same?                                            my mother is fearing the unknown and is worrying about the side effects aswell as losing her hair and eyebrows! 

thanks 

x

• I don't know if this will help your mother but I was very worried about losing my hair 6 months ago when I started chemo. The first thing I did was get a wig via the NHS online. I was not keen but it has worked out well as I wanted to use it when I had meetings etc online. I looked into using the cold cap. I don't know if it would be available to your Mum. I have used it throughout to my last chemo this week. It is very painful for a short while and then your head goes numb and I found it bearable. Not everyone does or opts for it. I have gradually lost a lot of my hair but there is about 20% left, not thick enough for a tie back. I decided not to cut it short as people often do to help manage the hair loss. Now that I am finished I will cut it short and look forward to the regrowth. Eyebrows and lashes went. I found websites for makeup lessons helpful. I guess I adjusted over the months to the gradual loss and am amazed that I still have hair. I have to wear a hat/cap as it very fine hair. Best of wishes to you both. 

My pathology profile is a bit different, stage 2, grade 3, no nodes estrogen pos. 

• Hi

my name is ruth in 54 nurse have fibrocystic breasts

found lump behind right nipple in december 2020 diagnosed  

stage 2 grade 2 er positive her 2 positive two lymph nodes affected

car scan clear

having chemo next week 

just wanted advise re why dont you thim lm going to surgery first

• Hi Anna

My name s Ruth aged 54

IDC Her 2 positive

size 3.7 cm

currently on chemo before surgery

pls contact me

• Hi Ruth :) 

good luck with your surgery! My Mum is having chemo post surgery, they didn't give her chemo before. I hope you're not getting too much side effects 

anna

x

• They usually give chemo before surgery in order to shrink the size of the tumour before removing it. 
    my mums tumour was very small so they though she didn't require chemo before, but it turns out she had Cancerous calcifications which totalled the size to 48mms. 

• Hiya, I had chemo 6 months of it, my hair came out after first session, everyone is different. I didn't worry about it I went with it. My son eventually shaved my head, I rocked the bald look. I didn't lose my eyebrows or eyelashes. I did get a wig I collected it and it's still in the drawer.

Chemo itself is fine I lost all my veins so it's stressful when they can't find any.

I felt sick for the first 10 days anti sickness drugs didn't work for me.

I would lose a stone in a week or 2 but gain it back once I started eating.

Fatigue is a big one.

Take every day as it comes, everyone has a different journey. 

Sending squishy hugs 

X