Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Hello, I’m new to this.

Last year, my mom was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in her throat. The tumour was fairly big and was blocking her airway. She had a major operation called a laryngectomy which removed her larynx completely. That was followed by 6 weeks of radiotherapy. Everything was going ok and she recovered really well, up until 2 months ago, doctors found something on a chest x-ray. She then had further scans and biopsies, which confirmed the cancer had returned in her lung, shoulder, and bicep. We was told that it’s terminal and has 12-18 months to live and it’s at stage 4.

The reason for my post, is that I’m wondering if anybody else has had this type of cancer before, and if it’s aggressive? What was your outcome? She, myself and my family are very upset and worried. Has anyone been given that timeframe and survived long past it? My mom is 65 years old, and she seems quite well in herself besides the pain in her arm. She’s been unable to talk since her operation and I feel like she’s been through so much already. It would be nice to hear from people who have been or in a similar situation. Thank you for reading.

•  

Hi,

A warm welcome to Cancer Chat.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's recent diagnosis. This must be heartbreaking for you.

I am afraid that I have no experience of squamous cell carcinoma, but can I suggest that you use the search engine on the blue banner at the top of this page? If you insert your key words in this, it will bring up previous posts on this subject.

Hope this helps. Please keep in touch and let us know how she gets on. We are always here for you, whenever you feel like talking.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi there. I am sorry to hear this and I myself at the age of 30 have recently been diagnosed with the same thing in my left pelvis. It’s very rare and I am struggling to find any information about this type of cancer. The doctors really don’t appear to have much knowledge regarding the type it is so I hope they are wrong. I a sorry I can’t help.