Sore throat for 5 weeks

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is well dyring this crazy time. I'm 33F and have been suffereing from an on and off again sore throat now for the past 5 weeks. I have no fever. My neck glands are swollen. At the beggining I was worried that I might have Covid-19 but then no other symptoms progressed. Now 5 weeks on I'm worried of what else it could be.  The throat pain comes and goes but for the last couple of days it has been really bad.  I have been doing the bad thing of using Dr google and this has completely freaked me out.

Usually I would go and see my GP but with the current situation they won't see me (understandable). I feel afraid and alone and I don't know what to do. My father is a GP in Australia so I have been sending him throat photo's but he says it's just viral too. But again can a virus last 5- 6 weeks? He isn't even sure. I would have great comfort if I was able to see an ENT, but I don't think that is an option in this current climate. Any advice would  be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• Hello ElCatador, 

I am sorry to hear about this persistent sore throat that has been lasting for 5 weeks. I completely understand why you would want to have medical advice on this even if, as you say, the current situation makes it more difficult to see a GP. Still if you have not do so already, give your local surgery a ring and explain the situation and mention that you have had this for so many weeks.

Perhaps you could also try and ring 111 over the weekend - I am sure they will be able to point you in the right direction. 

I hope you feel better soon and the sore throat goes away soon. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi I'm in the same boat. I've had a persistent sore throat just on my left side for 5/6 weeks now with a stabbing pain in my left ear like a constant earache. I'm always clearing my throat. I've got no redness or anything but I do have 1 big lymph node that is enlarged also on the left that's been there for around 12 months I have had 1 scan on that and they wanted a rescan but covid kicked in so I didn't get another appointment. I called my gp on the 15th of March she said gargle salt water it's probably viral. I called again this week and she said because of the length of time it's been going on she will prescribe me a weeks worth of antibiotics amoxicillin just to be sure there's no infect (I'm day 4 with absolutely no improvement) and if that doesn't work she will be giving me a referral to the ENT. My issue is I know they are not being very prompt with appointments at the moment and they are limiting things ect so I don't even know if I will be seen or if it's even serious enough for them to give me an appointment. 

anyway hope it helps to have a buddy who is going through the same thing I'm a 29f btw x

• Thank you so much for your reply. I think I've finally got through to a Dr on Thursday (third one) first step got my bloods done and he has put me on some antibiotics. If there is no improvement he will refer me to an ENT. I really hope either something shows up in my bloods or the antibiotics work. Feeling okay today but I have days like that, so not feeling over confident. I know if it's serious I want to catch it early. I completely know where you're coming from with the ENT wait! This really freaks me out too. 

fingers crossed things will be okay and sorted for the both of us soon.

xx

• Yeah it sounds like you are in the exact same position as me at the moment. Have you had problems with your ears at all? And what sort of pain are you feeling? Is it like a scratchy throat? Or like a constant pain? Worse when you swallow? 

my earache has been so terrible today if I am still in pain like this on Monday I am calling the dr back as nothing is touching it at the moment. 

I hope you are better today x

• Hey,

That's not great about your ear. No I haven't had what I call ear pain. My Lymph nodes are sore and tender around it though so it is a little painfull. My sore throat comes and goes. It was fine yesterday but today no good! Not worse when I swallow. The anti-biotics are doing nothing. Just waiting for the rest of my blood results back tomorrow and then I'll see what needs to be done. Was your swollen lymph node sore and tender? 

I too hope you're feeling better today :)

• Hi how are you today? Did you get your results back? No I have no pain what so ever with lymph node I think pain and tenderness is a good sign though as it indicates it's doing its job (I've had one removed before because it was suspicious and I had no pain at all with that just enlarged) the antibiotics are doing absolutely nothing for me either I'm now on day 6 and i plan to call the dr back tomorrow as I'm not happy with how I'm feeling still. I know she will send  me up to the ENT which obviously is good but also I don't really want to be setting foot inside any hospital at the moment. We will see what happens. I've got a horrible feeling in my gut that it's something horrible I hope not but I've never had this 1 sided sore throat for this long ever in my life. 

• Hey, I'm fine sore throat still lingering and feel like my glands are strangling me so nothing unusual for me atm :) Bloods all fine which is good. I was really hoping though that I had glandular fever (Mono) It would explain everything and put an end to my worry. I spoke with a Dr today and I hopefully will be having a neck ultrasound in the next seven days. No ENT appointments available until Covid-19 is under controll which is a bit nerve racking. 

I'm trying to keep calm. From what i've read through this forum it is always best to push your doctor a bit ( not in a psychotic way) My dad is GP in Australia and he said never be afraid to ask.  I just want to feel better again and feel that everyday is the same. It has been mentioned to me to by the Doctors that it maybe possible that I have had Covid-19 even with my symptoms (Only sore throat and swollen glands), they just don't have enough data on it.

Please keep my up to date with how you're doing this has been a realy comfort for me. 

xx

• That sounds horrible. Omg really no ent appointments? What region are you? My dr did say to me last week that she would want me seen at ENT I wonder if it's different in different hospitals? I had a ultrasound on my gland that was enlarged back in January and I was meant to have a rescan 8weeks later as 1 was enlarged enough for it not to be deemed normal but because of covid it didn't happen. So I do wonder what sort of restrictions have been happening and how they can justify not having the access to departments that can be life saving if you do end up having anything sinister. My throat is still really bugging me it's so annoying and the pain in my ear is horrible I've been taking Cocodmol just to ease it. At the moment I think it's even harder because they won't even look into my mouth because of my "sore throat" just in case it's covid but I'm so sure covid won't last near on 6 weeks? Hopefully we both get answers soon! Have they said how long it will take for your ultrasound to come through? Good news about your blood test though  

• Hi Elcatador. 
    jusy checking in how are you? 

• Hi Help1234,

So sorry I missed this!. I'm okay I had my ultrasound a couple of weeks ago for my lymph nodes and got the all clear so was pretty relieved. In the last couple of days however my sore throat has returned. I'm hoping it goes away again but am going to speak with my Dr about it. They said if it returned that they would refer me to an ENT.

Anyway how are you doing? I hope you are feeling better or that you have been able to see someone.