So scared!

Hi everyone,

since around Christmas I've been having pain at the side of my right breast. It feels like a burning, stinging pain and sometimes a dull ache. It has recently spread to my right rib area and also my shoulder blade. I have this overwhelming fear of it being breast cancer and yet (and this sounds so stupid) I can't bring myself to make an appointment with the gp! I know I have to make that appointment but I'm so scared of what they are going to say! My breasts already feel very lumpy anyway and both feel the same so I haven't felt anything out of the ordinary apart from this pain only being on one side! 

I suffer from quite severe anxiety about this! And I think it's mostly the fear of not being here for my 3 kids that scares me the most. 

Sorry for this pointless post but I needed to get this out somewhere! 

Thanks! 

• Hi Lizzymag. Welcome to the forum.

Just know that you're not alone. I think we've all felt the fear you're going through right now.

With all the emphasis today on cancer, it's quite easy to get into the mindset that every pain, every lump, is cancer. And it's scary. But most often a pain is just a pain, and a lump is just a lump. But neither you nor I will know unless you go to see your GP and get checked out. 

So please ring your GP reception today, now, make an appointment and let us know that you've done it.  Or you will be wondering and worrying for a long time.