So many questions

My beautiful mum passed away last week, she was diagnosed back in June with limited small cell lung cancer, she had chemo and in October we were told it had spread to her bones and brain, she started 5 days of radiotherapy the week before last and deteriorated quite rapidly but we weren't sure whether it was a side effect of the radiotherapy or in hindsight was her body just shutting down, I saw her last Tuesday she was exhausted and her breathing sounded quite shallow but she was lucid and talking on Wednesday she had an appointment at the Christie to be told there was nothing more they could do and she had weeks to live, I saw her that afternoon and again she said she was exhausted but she'd had a 4 hour roundtrip and it had just taken it out of her, again her breathing was shallow and we'd noticed her knees looked bruised but she was lucid when she was awake and said she wasnt in pain, at 7pm my dad called to say she was restless so hed given her some oramorph, I asked him if he wanted me to try and call the Dr out but she said she didn't want an ambulance as she didn't want to go to hospital, she died at 9.30pm. My heart hurts, I don't understand how she can go from being told weeks to live to actually just lasting hours, I'm tortured with thoughts that she was slowly dying those few days and suffering in pain but we either didn't notice or she chose not to tell us, she was only unconscious for a short while, I cant stop the thoughts, I'm trying to think of her now free of pain but we tried countless times over the 3 or 4 days to get someone or a nurse out to see her as she didn't want an ambulance and no-one came should we have gone against her wishes and just called them? Did hearing what she heard that morning make her give up? She was still saying that evening that she wanted to fight. Im just so desperately sad for her and the thought that she suffered, my poor dad is broken and I'm trying really hard to be strong for him and grieve at the same time but i have so many questions that I know I'll never get the answer to. We knew it was terminal and deep down we all knew what the outcome would be but i feel like I never got to say goodbye to her, she was always so positive we never talked about her dying and i don't know if that makes it harder :( 

• Hi there put all that guilt away you did everything you could honestly this rotton disease is so sneaky it hides in your body then it spreads its alallmost invisable invisable then it comes out with vengence you cant prepare yourself for it i never talked to my partner about dieing she didnt want to die so why talk about it we see so much about cancer on tv and its allmost like everyone survives in the commercials but in truth its not the case my parner had chemo monday massive stroke friday morning and died of sepsis sunday morning and i knocked myself to pieces with guilt for months even though i did everything i could i still get a bit now its 8 months now so try not to feel guilty your poor dad will be lost now the lonelyness is terrible try and keep him company as much as you can see if you can get counciling it realy helps or it has me sorry your going through all this best wishs .paul

• Hi Shellbell

Please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of your mum. This must feel like a very dark time for you. 

Having lost my 54 year old husband to lung cancer I know first hand what a horrible disease it can be and how quickly it can decimate a person. Hidden away until it's too late to stop it. My husband went from (apparently) fit strong and healthy to gone in just 15 weeks. I remember getting myself into a right stress about what else I could have done to prolong Neil's life - and even now I get days when I feel that I should have been able to do something to look after him better. The truth is we do our best but lung cancer is pretty relentless. I'm sure your mum took great comfort in the love and care you and your dad gave her and you should try to remember that.  My husband did allow me to call an ambulance but then refused to go to hospital. I'm comforted that he was able to pass in our bed, in familiar surroundings and not in some noisy hospital ward. We didn't talk about dying either. Not realising that we would be facing the end so quickly. 

It's now over 3 years since he passed away and many of the questions that bothered me and consumed me in those early days don't seem so important now. 

Please don't be too strong. You need to grieve and trying to stay strong for your dad's sake isn't healthy. Share the grief you feel for the beautiful lady you have both lost. 

Sending you much love 

Netty x