So confused

Hi All,

So basically my mam has been seeing a consultant after losing her voice. Luckily she was referred to ENT which needed a chest xray prior to been seen. This showed up a lesion on the top of her left lung. (this was approx 4 weeks ago) Called straight into the doctors same day referrals made and booked before she actually seen the gp who could explain what was going on. When she saw the GP she was told that there is a high chance of it been cancer , she has had so far a chest CT a Head CT and a full PET scan. So we have been back to see the consultant today who is amazing, We have now been told there are "active cells" in her lymphnods and some in her spine that didnt show up on her previous scans. So there is me now completely wrote my mam off as ct scans were only done roughly 2 week prior to PET Scan and nothing additional was found at the point of CT scans. She is now having a biopsy done on friday under a local with needle as the tumor is close to the top of her body (you can actually feel a large lump on the outside), She is struggling with food and fluids due to the lesion pushing in her vocal cords and throat, it sounds like she is asperating when she is eating or drinking. Voice is getting worse. So because of the new findings from the PET scan she now has to have a MRI of her back to determine what exactly these cells are in her back. She has also been told that this will mean chemo and radio therapy but not until early next year. I cant help but think all the referrals are going through so quickly but treatment is taking a lifetime to get to and with the potential of it spreading to two new areas I am now panicking about it all. I completely understand tests need to be done to determine the best treatment plan and nothing can be done overnight but with things potentially spreading I cant help but wish it could all be done sooner. We have not been told any stages etc as of yet as still going through tests at present. Has anyone been through a similar situation? 

• Hi panickeddaughter93,

Welcome to Cancer Chat. I can certainly understand how worrying this must be for you. The first thing I would say is to try not to assume anything in particular or to dwell on worst-case scenarios. There's unfortunately nothing that can be done until the doctors are able to find out all they need to. Once they do, there will be some clear next steps to take, and hopefully that should help with the feeling of knowing what's going on rather than all the uncertainty.

I know it's frustrating in wanting things to happen faster, but it's at least good that the referrals are happening quickly, as sometimes waiting times for tests can also be long.

I hope it's not too much longer until you find out more. Do use this forum as much as you'd like to write down any thoughts or to speak to others who understand.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator