Smear test

Hello 

i was booked for a smear test today , I attended. But i couldnt go through with it . I found it very painful. The nurse said Its most Probably because of my anxiety . I've had breast cancer and just the thought of Waiting for results again .. i cant stand it, the anxiety.  I almost didnt turn uP but i did. However, like i said couldnt go through with it. Are there any alternatives like being sedated or a different type of test? Im well overdue but just couldnt do it Cause of the pain . 

thanks 

• Hello Brigitta,

I am sorry to hear about your experience of having your smear test done. I see that you said the thought for waiting for the result felt like when you were waiting for your breast cancer results. I can see why you said that but remember the cervical screening test is done in people that have no worrying symptoms and is looking for abnormal cells and not cancer.

I do think that if you are anxious and worried it could be a more uncomfortable and possibly painful experience. Many women find keeping calm and relaxed makes it better but I realise that is easier said than done.

I hope you can go back and talk about this further with the nurse who will carry out the screening. A smaller speculum and getting you in a more comfortable position will help. You may also want to take something to listen to and focus on. Another charity claled Jo's Trust gives some helpful information about barriers to screening on their website here 

I am not sure if a sedative can be prescribed, but again it is something you will have to discuss with the nurse who is doing your screening.  

Please get back to us if you need any more information or support.  You may find it helpful to talk things through with one of the nurses on our helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Take care,

Caroline