Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Small lump

5 Dec 2018 17:35

I have noticed I have a hard pea sized lump on my scrotum, it has been there for about a week now and I’m starting to get worried if it has something to do with cancer. It isn’t attached to a testicle and I don’t feel any pain when I squeeze it. I don’t want to go through the embarrassment of speaking to my parents or GP about it. 

Im 17 if that helps.

Please can I have any thoughts on what it could be or if it could be cancerous.

thanks

Re: Small lump

6 Dec 2018 02:08 in response to Anonymous29

I’m 55 years old, I had this 3 times threw my years, I never did get mine looked at, they always went away in a couple weeks, but that’s me, everyone is different, get it checked by a doctor, don’t be embarrassed, better safe then sorry 

6 Dec 2018 02:24 in response to Anonymous29

Hey 29,

what is it that makes you feel embarrased?

The reason I ask is the first time I had to go for a smear I was seriously terrified. I was terrfied because I didnt know what to say, what to do, what would happen, what things would be like, would they judge me? 

I work in the NHS, trust me we dont judge - we just want to help put minds at rest.

Do you have an older male that you trust to talk to or even go with you? 

6 Dec 2018 12:59 in response to Anonymous29

Hi and thanks for posting

It can be difficult when you are your age and you find a new symptom - I can appreciate that the embarrassment factor kicks in.

However, I am sure you will understand when I say that it really isn't possible to say what your lump may be. There are many other causes for a lump other than cancer, including varicocele, infection or a cyst. 

All lumps though do need to be checked out by the GP, even though the majority of lumps usually do not turn out to be cancer. GPs see many people of your age with very similar problems and don't think twice about it. If you don't go, you will just continue to worry about it, so it really will be best if you just make an appointment.

You may want to read the following link to the NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/testicle-lumps-and-swellings/ 

Do give us a call if you want to have a chat about it .The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

All the best and good luck

Wanda