Small Cell Lung Cancer

Hi there,

My friend was diagnosed early this year with small cell lung cancer [limited] He has undergone 4 rounds of chemotherapy and doctors are very happy with the results of his scan. His tumour has shrunk significantly and he can now commence radiotherapy to the lung for 3 weeks and to the brain [as a preventative] for 10 days. 

The doctor who is carrying out the radiotherapy is very negative about the effects the radiotherapy is going to have on him. He says that he will experience severe coughing and shortness of breath. He really had nothing positive to say at all which is quite disappointing and worrying.

Just wondered does any one have any experience of this? Would really appreciate any information.

Thanks

• Hi CTC

I'm sorry to hear that your friends recent appointment with the Dr has left some feelings of disappointment. 
    The side effects of radiotherapy do vary from person to person and it's possible your friend may not have all of the effects mentioned. Side effects tend to start a week after the radiotherapy begins and gradually get worse during the treatment. We've some information on our website about the side effects of radiotherapy for lung cancer

If you or your friend would like to talk through your concerns with one of our team of nurses please do give them a call. They're available on 0808 800 4040, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. 

I hope this helps. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator