small cell lung cancer

My darling mum (79) has had half a lung removed 6 weeks ago - recovered really well even has been cycling! Back to hospital today and is to start chemo. Positive stories please!

• Welcome to Cancer Chat ljb1972, 

It's great to hear that the surgery to remove half of your mum's lung and her recovery has gone so well. It's amazing she is back cycling only 6 weeks after the operation. Your mum is clearly a very strong woman :) I see you mentioned she has started chemo now. How is she finding it so far? I hope it's going ok. I'm sure other members who have had this type of cancer and treatment will reply soon but do feel free to find others who have may have posted positive stories on the forum already by using the 'search forum' option above.

Best wishes to you and your mum, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi there! My mum (67) also recently had lung surgery a couple of weeks ago and has also recovered well. We are waiting to hear when she will start chemo. I'm also looking for positive stories! Originally they assumed it was non small cell and that she would only need a surgery as it was only found as a tumour in one place, but during the surgery they discovered it was small cell. So she needs chemo incase it has spread and is too small to see on scans and/or as a preventative measure. Terrifies me reading the stuff on the internet about small cell but just need to have faith all will be okay! Did they say if it had spread? How many chemo rounds does she need and will she have the brain radiation done as well? Wishing your mum well! It's very positive to hear she's bounced back after the surgery so well, she sounds very strong. Stay positive and best wishes. Rosy x