Skin cancer

To cut a long story short I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma in September and have had 3 operations so far, including lymph nodes under my arm, I'm waiting to find out if it's spread to them, I'm really struggling with the whole thing and finding that people keep saying 'o your be fine it's not serious'! Although I'm trying to be positive and have the whole PMA attitude I'm so scared!

• I went to the Salford Royal Hospital last December with excema on my ankle, The Registrar told me to take All my clothes off, He noticed a freckle, [not a mole] on my shoulder, which I have had for years, He examined it with a magnifying glass and said that has to come out, This was on Tuesdfay, Saturday morning I went back and they cut it out, didnt feel a thing, only a few minutes. and a few stitches.

They then informed me that I had a Malignant Melanoma, and I had a choice of Christies Hospital or Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester. I chose Wythenshawe as it was easier to get to.

They cut out a tumour as big as my forefinger.from my shoulder. I was awake the whole time and watched, very interesting, no pain, I was leaving a week later to go to the South Pacific Islands for a holiday for six weeks. so they sewed it up with disolving stitches. No problems at all. I enjoyed the holiday and went back to Wythenshawe Hospuital for a check up and they felt my lymph glands and everything was OK. No probs at all.

I thank the young Registrar for spotting it. first.I had no idea at all .

I have spent all my working life in the tropical sun as a Merchant Seaman, 45 years, so that is how How I caught it. I keep out of the sun now, Off again in January to the Pacific Islands and Auistralia but in the shade with a big hat on.

Cheers

Brian.

• Hi Brian, glad your ok, chin up !