Shocked

My husband has been diagnosed with Cancer of the Oesophagus which has spread to his Kidneys, Lungs and Liver.  He is well at the moment apart from weight loss and is awaiting Palliative Chemo.  It was a shock to find out the diagnosis and prognosis.  Has anyone had a similar situation and how have you coped?  We are in shock but trying to make the very most of the time he has and is well enough to enjoy it.  I am a new member and this has been such a shock to the family we have two grown up sons in their 20's.

• my mum was recently diagnosed with lung cancer that has aggressively spread to her lymph/liver n breast our familys numb but she seems to have taken it well n can talk about it..me i dont know how to cope or what to say..dreading whats to come ??

• Hello Red63,  its such a shock to be given the worst possible news ever, we're two years on with palliative chemo and radio for incurable lung cancer and your attitude is the correct way forward.  Take each day as a new day, if he feels well do something nice, if he's unwell just stay home and rest. Eat well if he can and see friends and family if he feels well enough.  You need to also take care of yourself so see friends for coffee or have a meal out, everyone will be there fur you, mine are still so supportive, it's amazing what love can do.  Take care and live the best life you can.  Carol x

• Thank you, I get what you say about taking each day and enjoying it.  You being two years further on helps as we were told months not years!  I have found being very active (a good brisk walk or bike ride) helps me.  Hubby had just started joining me on short gentle rides, if he's able he still could.  The Macmillan Nurse advised continuing with a good diet rich in protein and carbs.

Thank you for your advice.

• Hi dawny271166,

Sorry to hear about your Mum.  If she's able to get out and about and you're able to spend time with her I think it would help both of you.  As Dor06 advised me try to do something each day and look after yourself too.  I hope things become clearer for you, take care. Jx

• thank you. .we talked abit yesterday shes so calm ..we see about treatment to keep her well tmorro they said chemo as a day patient she says she doesnt want to lose her hair so im hoping theres a chemo where she wont x

• Dawny271166 I'll be thinking of you.  My husband got a letter from the hospital where he got his diagnosis today.  Seeing Terminal Cancer in black and white was such a wrench for me even though we'd already been told so.  I'm glad my hubby and I have the same sense of humour..... it's sometimes very dark but we laugh. Jx

• my mum decided to have chemo today it was either that or go downhill very fast...today like you lv i saw cancer the same way the word terminal slapped me hard ....this awful disease i saw in my mum as she nervously listened to her optipns x

like u and your husband we too have a sense of humour,and im glad we do cos without it we would crumble

along this journey hope u stay in touch will think of you and your husband and hope your sense of humour helps ease the pain xx

• Hi Dawny

I think a sense of humour is a must, hubby been to see practice nurse.  He's been coughing for a while (it spread to his lungs).  She gave him a thorough looking at, his chest is as clear as a bell and she thinks the cough is viral advised plenty of fluids.  We are going away for the night with friends. (There will be lots of laughter and fun).  Still waiting for an appointment for Christie which hopefully won't be long.  I'll be thinking of you and your Mum take care. Jxx