Severe health anxiety and cancer worries

Dear all,

It is interesting to read all these posts and realise I am not alone.  I am so scared of being diagnosed with something terminal and not seeing my two boys grow up.  Like others of you, I scrutinise and Google every ache, twinge, pain etc to the point it is beginning to impact upon my enjoyment of 'life'. I hate the impact it is having and know that the worrying will make things worse but I am unsure how to get out of this cycle.  

I think it links back to a few years ago when I lost my grandparents within a month of each other and I went to see them in hospital. I myself also had a 2ww referral for my Liver last year which fortunately turned put to be a hemangioma.

Chinchops76

• So really you know what you have to do, stop googling!!  I've just been talking to a friend today, same age as me, 71 years but young at heart, don't forget we're the children of the sixties, an exciting challenging time for us, no social media, no Internet, no googling, we lived our lives, ignored aches and pains, we knew most would go away on their own, and they did, we never discussed cancer as it wasn't in our vocabulary, but we lost grandparents and parents to cancer, my grandad lost his battle with lung cancer whilst I was pregnant with my first baby but never once did it occur to me that I might get it.  So my point is, live each day without worry and stress, it gets you precisely no where, even now as I look after my lovely husband who has lung cancer, not once have I googled his symptons, there is an old saying, never listen behind closed doors as you may hear something you don't wish to hear, to me googling is the same.  So enjoy each day, love your children and be happy for them, they don't need a worried Mummy.  So big hugs your way and look after you.  Carol 

• Thank you and I know you're right.  I'm 43 and think in some respects technology is good but at the same time it can be extremely negative and have adverse impacts.  

I also lost another 2 grandparents to it and it scares me.  After 8 years of despising my job and coming home in tears everyday (being scrutinised and hurt) I finally have the job of my dreams and a happy home life.  You're so right, I need to focus on that.

Big hug back to you too xx

• Sometimes you just need to put a new spin on it, when we're feeling down and scrutinised our minds go into overdrive and we think the worst of ourselves.  I understand where you are coming from, without my knowledge when I worked for the Courts a man I worked with had kept a diary for a year on my every move, then accused me of bullying him, after months of internal investigation, I was exonerated and it was decided he was jealous of my popularity, so it's the other person at fault, not you, have trust in yourself.  Good luck in your new career.  Carol x 

• I'm going through this yet again at the moment.

I'm 54 and have had bowel cancer twice in the last 5 years.

I live in fear of it coming back again, like living under a black cloud.

I'm ok and then I get a new ache/pain and off I go, imagining the worst of what could happen.

I have a feeling my GP is getting a little fed up of seeing me although if I hadn't kept pestering with my symptoms in the past I probably wouldn't be here now. It took 18 months to get diagnosed the first time and over 6 months the second.

I do feel the 'what if's' are spoiling my quality of life. I hate it!

• You're definitely not alone. I am 24 and lost my grandad to bile duct cancer. He was diagnosed January 2019 and passed away last month. It completely changed my outlook on things and made me very paranoid that I was going to be diagnosed with a terminal condition any day, and I would leave my family & partner behind.. and I would google/scrutinise over the smallest things and convince myself I had terminal conditions.

You are not alone and I understand your worries, especially with young children. I myself am trying to get over this fear so whilst I don't have any advice on how to do it, you're not alone and I'm glad I'm not either.

Xxx

• Thank you.  It's good to know you're not alone.  I have other health issues anyway including an underactive thyroid, hiatus hernia and gastritis.  I also had a hysterectomy when I was 35.  So in some respects it makes me worry more.  

I know a lot of it's in my head and I need will-power not to Google but I find it really hard.  I am thinking of speaking to the GP  about this anxiety but not sure of the reaction I'd get!

xxx

• We are all going to die eventually and we can either sit around worrying about how and when it is going to happen or go out, take every opportunity that comes our way, and live life to the full. 

You say that part of your anxiety comes from the fear of not seeing your children grow up but, speaking from experience, having parents with health anxiety makes life really miserable. Since my parents developed health anxiety everything has become a real effort and spending time with them is not enjoyable anymore. 

Maybe next time you feel anxious and tempted to google you could go get your children and do something fun or plan something for you all to do together? Hopefully the distraction will help you overcone the anxiety and create lots of happy memories for your children at the same time.

Good luck and enjoy life 

Georgina  

• Hello,

Do you have cancer? Health anxiety is terrible and I Google alot as I have cancer. Its terrifying! 

• I have an under active thyroid too! And I decided to go to the doctor when I couldn't sleep for worrying I was going to die, and the doctor I had was really supportive and prescribed me propanarol to help with the anxiety (which has worked but it's hard to shake the thoughts)

I hope talking about it with people who understand makes you feel better, it's easy to say to someone to try and stop worrying but it's easier said than done <3 x

• No I don't, but I had a scare with my Liver in May last year.  I knew I had a hemangioma but was told it had grown to 5cm from 4mm and so an urgent referral was made.  It turns out I have cysts and hemangiomas on my liver but they are fine.  Those few weeks really freaked me out and I can't get it out of my head.

I am sorry to hear you have been diagnosed.  Have you a support group that you can talk to?  Google is not the best place to look,  as you say it's terrifying!