Seeing the GP tomorrow, hope they take me seriously! I'm 24

I've got loads of hard lumpy lymph nodes in my neck groin that have been there for about 3 months and increasing in number over time. The past month or so I've had low grade fevers for a few days at a time and I've been feeling too exhausted to even go and buy food some days let alone get work done.  I'm a medical student myself so I know it's possible it's lymphoma but the thing I'm most worried about is that the GP will just blow me off and not properly look into it! Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make sure they don't just send me home and ask to come back if they're not gone in x weeks? I had to book the appointment 3 weeks in advance, on top of putting off making it for like a month because I was too scared to get seen. 

• Im sorry you are going through this. I am going through something similar. I keep getting nodes that get bigger and tender in my neck. Iv also had on and off fever and chills that come and go for 2.5 months now. I'm waiting to see a haematologist, I was referred around 7 weeks ago as urgent and supposidly urgent needs seen in 8 weeks. I hope I hear soon! 

Your doctor will most likely send you for blood tests. Explain to them that you have already waited to see if the lumps go away so you arent happy to wait any longer. Hopefully they will take you seriously! 

• Hi, I'm also 24 and going through the same thing. I've found swollen lymph nodes everywhere (neck, armpits, groin) and also had blood in my pee. I'm freaking out waiting for the results of a CT scan and blood test right now. I was also scared to go, since I'm terrified they'll tell me something I don't want to hear. Just wanted to reply and say you're not alone! I think your GP will do bloods at least since multiple lymph nodes isn't good generally, just make sure to tell them you're worried and want tests done! 

• That's a long time to wait! Maybe call your GP to make sure the referral went through? Did the doctor say what they were suspecting? I think you're normally supposed to get a 2 week wait referral for potential cancer! 

• I'm so sorry to hear that, that's scary! Best to find out as early as you can so it's great that they're on it with the scans and stuff. Wishing you all the best and I really appreciate you replying:)

• The doctor did put me through as a red flag 2 week wait but it was then checked and downgraded to "urgent" which is 8 weeks. I phoned heamatology today and the receptionist said I should get a call in the next few days with an appt. Im so worried :( 

Good luck at your appt tomorrow, let us know how you get on x

• Ahh I see! I think in general having tender nodes points it more towards infection than anything sinister so you shouldn't worry in excess:) is it possible youve had glandular fever? I read your other posts especially with the pus on your tonsils sounds exactly like it. I'm struggling to sleep with it being the night before the appointment x.x

• So sorry to hear what you are going through.

I had a rough time of it trying to get diagnosed too! Finally did get diagnosed with lymphoma after a tissue biopsy so I've been there and know what the stress is like.

Hoping your appointment goes well.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to help

Rose

• I had puss on my tonsils at the start of July with no pain and was told it was tonsillitis. Bloods for glandular fever were negative. Since then I've had random nodes swell and become tender. I have some small ulcers in my mouth now and a swollen node in my jaw. Im scared my immune system is down because I have lymphoma and thats why this is happening :( 

Good luck today Kamila, hope you managed to get sleep x

• Hi Rose, thanks for your support! What symptoms did you initially go to the doctors with?

He ended up sending me for urgent blood tests today and would discuss the referral with his colleagues (he was a younger doc). I think he forgot to actually put on the form that the tests were to come back within 48hours but oh well! I don't think I could have that changed anymore after I went to have the blood taken. Will call them tomorrow but looks more likely that I'll have to wait until next week to find out. I'm not sure when they'll decide what to do about the referral! 

• Glad you got bloods done, I hope they come back normal! How are you feeling now? Did the doctor say anything about your symptoms and what his opinion was on the fevers and nodes etc?