Secondary Lung Cancer.

Hello, I'm new to this club,The club that none of us wishes to join ..No disrespect intended, How to put two /three years into a paragraph is pretty hard but here goes, 

I was diagnosed in 2014 Stage IV Cancer unknown primary after removing my adreanal gland, Then Feb 2017 they removed my kidney both on the left side of my body ....I was told in July 2017 it's back in my bladder cancer spread to lung Cancer so it's an end of life situation, I have pallative care who are amazing as my options due to me having only one kidney now is limited plus the fact that after numerous chats with my husband and my Son's the decision to pass the way i wish and thankfully my Family are backing me on is something i'm totally grateful for, Since i was told i am terminal i don't wish to know how long i have, I want to enjoy what i have left not sitting counting my remaining weeks here,,

Cancer is a terrible disease i'm pretty sure that all of us on here will agree but to believe for seven weeks i was clear then getting punched again hurt me bad, 

I would love to chat with secondary cancer patients and their families / Carers if there is someone out there please, 

Hoping you have a pain free day X

•  

Hi Pudds,

Welcome to this dreaded, but so essential club. I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and prognosis, but I must say that I admire your stance. It is not easy to be so positive when staring death in the face. It sounds as if you have really been through the mill. I often find it hard to credit that, after all the surgery you've had, your cancer is still of unknown primary.

I am glad to hear that your paliative care team  are so good.and that your family are happy to respect your wishes about passing away. You are so right not to dwell on the inevitable, but to treasure each and every precious day and enjoy it to the full of your capabilities. Having thought that you were clear for 7 weeks to then be told that it was back and had spread, must have been a real kick in the teeth.

I really feel for you and wish that there was something that I could do to help.

My own Mum died 20 years ago from secondary breast cancer. She survived for 12 years from initial diagnosis, but was told that it had metastasised in her liver, lungs, bones and brain in her final year. Sadly, she declined very quickly after that, but we made some great memories when she was well enough to do so. I have now fallen prey to breast cancer too and have had two primaries within the last 7 years. I have  had a double mastectomy , but I do my best to live every day as if it were my last.

It seems futile to let cancer win. Life is too short and far too precious,

I hope that  you continue to maintain your positive stance, despite all your struggles..

I am thinking of you and shall mention you in my prayers.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• My husband had surgery to rmove the upper lobe of his right lung two years ago and was told all was well no chemo or radiotherapy was required but he now has the lung cancer back.He refuses to see a doctor but as his breathing is so bad it is obvious.This is his choice and as he is now 81 I understand and have to go along with his wish to let nature take it's course but it's hard to watch him struggle to breathe.I totally understand that you want your husband to have a quick end ,it's a wish we have for ourselves and our loved ones.

•  

Hi Brianne,

I am so sorry to hear about your husband's prognosis. This must have come as a real kick in the teeth!

Whilst I understand his stance, this must be very difficult for you yourself? I would expect that he is suffering considerable pain at this stage.  Would he not consider seeing his consultant just to arrange some pain killing medication and something to help his breathing?  If he makes his wishes known and states that he doesn't want any further treatment, his consultant will have to accept this.

Pain control will not progress the length of his life, but it should make his passing more comfortable for him and easier for you too. I lost my Mum to secondaries from breast cancer several years ago now, She survived for 12 years after diagnosis and developed secondaries in her liver, lungs, brain and bones in her final year.  At that stage, she didn't have any further treatment, but she did need pain killers and it was difficult to watch her suffer, even with them. I dread to imagine how she would have suffered if she hadn't had pain control then.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hello Pudds.

I'm a secondary Lung cancer patient, it started in June 2015 and I was told I had maybe two years

but here it is October 2017 and I'm still alive and kicking :)

I'v had two different chemo's and the doc wants to put me on a third but the first one didn't help and the

second was stopped early as it wasn't doing anything but making me suffer with side effects so why they

want to make me do anouther I don't know. Not sure whether to do it or not.

How are your symptoms ? I have a annoying cough and feel tired but still work part time and do a tai chi class.

Hope you are doing OK

Sherrel