Scared I have breast cancer

I felt a sore lump under my breast last week. I booked an appointment with the doctor and she checked my breasts. She said that my breasts seem normal but there is a lump but it seems connected to menstruation. She gave me some cream and said to book an appointment in two of three weeks.

I'm worried that because she wants a follow up it might be serious. I also felt my breasts today and at first I thought the lump had gone down as it felt tiny and rubbery under my breast but when I felt it towards the breast bone it felt big and hard. I don't know whether what I've been feeling is a lump or hard breast bone. 

If I find out I have breast cancer I don't want to live. I'm 29 and I know the cancer in younger women is extremely aggressive and fatal. So many young women die from breast cancer. Even if it's treated it often comes back even when caught early. Breast cancer in young women is a death sentence. I'm scared that maybe the doctor didn't feel my breasts well enough.

•  

Hi Catlady,

Here's hoping that your GP is right and that the lump is just hormonal. You have done the right thing by getting this investigated. Not all breast lumps are cancerous. Many are benign cysts or fibrous tissue. It is also a fact that only 1 person in 8 who attends the breast clinic will get a cancer diagnosis.

Whilst breast cancer can be aggressive in younger women, this is not always the case. For a start, younger women are less likely to get it. Whilst it oftenhad an unfavourable outcome in days gone by, this is now one of the most treatable forms of cancer and, many are now living with it rather than dying.

I have had 2 bouts in the past 12 years and, I still lead a busy and fulfilled life, so please don't write yourself off yet. I sincerely hope that all turns out well for you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• You may think you don’t want to live if you get a cancer diagnosis, and that’s your choice to think like that. However, you should maybe think about the other points you have made in relation to breast cancer in young women which might really affect others reading your post. Words matter, and I’d think about how your words might affect other people who actually do want to have hope and do want to live even if they have a cancer diagnosis. They were very harsh and negative, and telling people that it is a death sentence in young women is not alt helpful or supportive to others, which is what this forum should be about.