Scared I have bowel cancer.

Hi i am looking for some advice.

I am 28 years old and have been struggling with my health. A few years ago I have been having typical ibs symptoms so went to the doctors who had confirmed it was ibs. So I had left it for a year or so. I then started noticing bright red blood on the tissue so again i had gone back to the doctors who done a standard check and said it was internal piles. So I thought this should be true considering I have suffird with piles before and my mother gets them all the time. However last year I had such bad abdominal pain in my stomach. It was so serve I could not do anything.  I could not  move it anything. However this blew over so just left it . Now forwarding to a couple of months ago, I noticed bright red blood in my stools this time so went back to the doctors who said its probably internal piles again. However done a stool sample which came back negative with no further action. So now going to 3 weeks ago I was admitted to hospital for another reason however I got discharged and went home. The same evening I had a sudden sharp intense pain in my lower left abdominal and a high fever. The pain was so intense j could not do anything.  I ended up vomiting and then had water diarrea which also had dark looking blood in it. I first thought this might if happened this might of happened from all the drugs I was given at the hospital.  Anyways we could an ambulance however I finally managed to fall asleep so cancelled the ambulance.  I then went into a&e about this. They done standard checks.  Abdominal x ray and pit pressure on the stomach which they said was okay. However they had done a blood test which showed inflammatory and highly white blood cell count. However they just sent me home and told me to see my gp. I went to my gp and explained all my symtoms iv been having,  blood in stools , going to the loo 4 times a day. Cramps and dull ace which are always persistent. I have also have constant bad dizziness aswell . After the doctors looked at the notes from the hospital he had done an urgent referral.  I'm now booked in for a colonoscopy for the 13th September and sent me to do another stool test. In the mean time I have had bright red stools which I havnt seen for a couple of days now but instead I have a brighter brown shade with black also mixed in it . ( sorry if graphic) but worried it's in the upper now. Anyways I had bought a reliable home kit to test for blood in my stools ( as wanted some reassurance) as it take 2 weeks for doctors stool test to come back. However the home test came back negative which is a little bit more reassuring.  I have bought another kit to try again tomorrow to get a better result . Anyways I'm now in such a state and thinking it's going to be cancer. I have not slept for 1 week and have  not eaten at all. My family keep asking me to eat but I just cant as I am really scared.  Had anyone got any advice?? Thank you and sorry for going on 

• Welcome to the forum Thlfc although I'm sorry for everything you've gone through. It sounds like you've had a really tough time.

Hopefully some of our members will share their thoughts and advice with you soon but in the meantime I just wanted to wish you good luck with your colonoscopy on the 13th and let you know we'll be thinking of you.

Fingers crossed everything will be o.k.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Just an update in case someone else is in the same situation. I have had a flexible sigmoidoscopy which had came back all fine. 

• Hi mate,

Glad to see you’re OK, you had some bad symptoms there. Must have been awful waiting.

I’m 34, I have persistent abdominal pains. Had blood in my stool only once, a tiny bit too but I did a stool sample.

I was told it was ‘borderline’ whatever the hell that it supposed to mean. Had to do another one so I gave it in yesterday.

Rang my doctors & the GP told the girl on reception that it was ‘virtually normal’ but I had to do it again.

Obviously really worried about bowel cancer or something & now another 2 week wait for them to look at my crap.

I really wish I had private medical care. If this cones back borderline I’m going to pay for my own colonoscopy through Spire. 

• Hi , 

The stool test definitely does not indicate any cancer so I wouldn't be too concerned.  Your symptoms definitely does not sound like cancer at all but of course always good to get it ruled out. 

I was thankfully put on the fast track and they performed a flexi sigmoidscopy which as stated has came back thankfully. I did look to go private but unfortunately I'm not in the financial situation to do so. I have had blood test which all came back fine to. I am however pushing for a colonoscopy but they are very reluctant as they believe I do not require it, however I have been on there case and they are now looking to do one.

My advice is if you dont go private then to keep getting on their case. I had to do this on many occasions .  I also now have an ultrasound scan on Wednesday as again I was pushing for more examinations so it does work getting on their case.

Good luck  and a the best