Scared

Hi all, 

I found a lump in my breast a couple of weeks ago, finally plucked up the courage and went to the doctor.

She took ages checking my breast standing, sitting and lying down, said it was about 3cm, unmovable and definitely not an abscess and referred me to the breast clinic. I looked at the computer while she told me this and there were red flags on the screen.

I think that's scared me the most, even though I know most lumps turn out to be nothing I've been walking around the last few days in a haze absolutely petrified.

How long does it usually take to get your appointment?

• Hi,

Sorry you are going through this.

I believe you are usually seen within 2 weeks. I think there are some people on this forum who have possibly waited longer depending on which area they live in. You could always follow up with your GP and give them a call to ask how long it may be until you are seen. For me I got a letter in the mail inviting me into the hospital for a scan and biopsy shortly after my GP appointment.

Hopefully things get moving for you soon.

• Thank you, I think I'm just looking for reassurance that it's nothing even though I know that's not possible. 

I was recently diagnosed with depression and I don't think that's helping my mindset unfortunately 

•  

Hi Porcha,

A very warm welcome to our forum.

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. You are doing the right thinin getting this checked out. You should be seen at the breast clinic within 2 weeks, but in some areas it is taking a little longer, due to Covid.

I wish that we could give you reassurance that all will be fine, but sadly, this is not possible. You are likely to have tests when you are at the clinic and will probably then have to wait a further 1-2 weeks to get the results of these. These results are the only way to confirm or deny a cancer diagnosis.

Having depression won't help you at the moment, as this wait is such a stressful time. Try to keep yourself busy to help the time to pass. Whatever you do, don't start googling, as this will only scare you further, without getting you any further forward. There are many different types of cancer and it is impossible to know what you're facing until you get a diagnosis. Much of what is on google is poorly researched, out of date and aimed at the more spectacular cases.

I hope that your appointment comes through soon and that nothing untoward is found. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Porcha

I am sort of in the same position as you. I do have my appointment - a week away still. I heard a week after the referral was sent. I was told that you should be seen within 2 weeks. I received a phone call from the breast clinic to book in but this may be different in different areas.

The waiting is extremely difficult and one minute OK the next in a terrible state. 

Like everyone keeps saying to me - we don't know anything yet so try to keep busy.  I know how hard it is to try and stay positive!

Always here if you want a chat and I hope you hear soon

xxx

• Hi Im due to go in tomorrow for a follow up , It's really horrid waiting , feeling ok ish then panicky . I've had a really difficult year loosing my mum to Covid and lots of health issues with depression as well I was just feeling that I was on the mend when I got the callback , it's upsetting and you get frantic but I'm trying to remember that we are lucky to have this care taken .
    Wishing you well and maybe ask your GP if he can help with something to calm your nerves , anxiety is so horrid . Anything to keep your brain busy helps , I've been doing brain games , helping my daughter by text to choose paint to redecorate her house , played some funny YouTube videos . It takes the edge off I find .
    So hope you get you're appointment soon . Xxx

• How did you get on with your appointment? 

• Sorry I didn't reply to this post, I only just figured out how to find my previous posts.

I had my appointment, got a mammogram, check, ultrasound then 3 core biopsies. Once they were all done my surgeon came in and told me they had their suspicions and the lump is,  on their scale at about a 4 out of 5, then sent in a macmillan nurse to speak to me.

Was a very traumatic day and I'm still reeling!

Flash forward to over 2 weeks later and my biopsy results are late, the pathology lab is understaffed just now so just have to wait for longer.

I have spoken to my surgeons secretary and she has been amazing, she will look every day for the path results and phone me as soon as they are here. 

Still very scared but I'm assured by the fact that if it is bad news it's contained in my breast, hasn't spread anywhere and it's only 3cm so will be a lumpectomy and small amount of chemo before being OK. Hopefully  

• Oh bless you sorry to hear that. The waiting must be awful xxx 

• Thank you Shona, the waiting is horrific, I have depression and unfortunately my pills just aren't kicking it but the doctors have been amazing helping me with it.

Hopefully won't have to wait too much longer!