Repeat Colposcopy

Hello :) I had my smear test early this year and the results were inconclusive (again) and I was tested as HPV positive. So I got a letter for a colposcopy app. My colposcopy took place at the end of March and I received my results last week, which said - 'minor abnormality CIN1. We will send an appointment for a repeat cytology in the next month'. Yesterday I received a letter for another colposcopy at the end of May, which wasn't something that I expected to receive. I assumed that NHS approach is, if you get CIN1 then you get another test in 12 months time. So I rang the hospital and they said there is no mistake and they would rather not wait for 12 months to see me, but there is nothing to worry about. I'm just a bit worried as to why I need to have one more colposcopy in May, when I had one in March. Did anyone have a similar situation? 

• Hello Jules and welcome to the community.

Hopefully some of our members who have been in a similar situation will share their experiences with you soon but if you'd like to discuss this with one of our cancer nurses whilst you wait you're very welcome to give them a call on 0808 800 4040. Their phone lines are open Monday - Friday (except tomorrow as it's a bank holiday) between 9a.m - 5p.m.

I hope you're able to get some peace of mind soon and your colposcopy goes well at the end of the month.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator