Referral wait

Hi

I got referred a week ago after finding a lump/swelling in my armpit. The GP said because of my age 35 and she wasn't convinced it was cancer (which I don't think that's her call to make) that I fall into a grey area. She explained all referrals are classed as urgent but mine will be less urgent. This worries me. I've not heard anything yet. I know every area is probably different and covid causing delays but I'm in South Yorkshire has anyone else had experience with the time scale and does the referral come via post or phone as my GP was unsure how I'd be contacted so my forever checking my phone and letter box it's driving me crazy

TIA x

• I rang my doctor on the 12th and I’m been seen tomorrow at the hospital in Leeds I received a text on Friday and a letter came in the post Saturday. I’m hoping mine is just a cyst

• Hi, I'm in the north west, I was referred and waited over a month for my initial appointment, I didn't receive a letter, I called the hospital by chance as I was concerned and my appointment was the following week. Now waiting 2 weeks for biopsy results. It's really hard waiting round, keeping yourself busy really does help. Fingers crossed for you xx

• Thanks for your reply. Hoping all works out for you and everything is ok 

• I'm in ireland I was at my doctor  yesterday she said shes not worried Ibut sent a referral  letter said I should here from them in 3weeks now it's back in lockdown I'm kinda scared it's going to take longer every lump should be classed as urgent  no matter what ur age I'm 32 found some lumps in my left breast not rock hard lumps kinda grizzly feeling they move abit when I touch them what do your lump feel like have you any pain my left breast is sore 

• I've not had this it must be frustrating, I was refered the same day and they rang the same day within the hour which was quiete scary, then a letter came from the gp about the referral and a few days later the appointment for a week later,  seems like she must not be worried to get it within the 2 weeks but still like u say it's not really her call is it, maybe you could ring the breast clinic and see if they have an appointment for you ? 

sending my love xx 

• Thanks for your reply. Hope you get your results soon & all is ok 

• Hi

hopefully there's no delay for you.

its quite a big mass hard and lumpy feeling in my lower pit towards my breast a tiny bit tender to tough but I don't know if that's because I'm constantly checking it. I'm unsure if I've found another on my actual breast that's why I'm so eager to be seen I think. I'm half convinced it's all in my head 

• Yeah I'm thinking since I felt something I keep checking it ever second of the day and night and keep thinking I'm feeling more or something else each time I'm hopeing it's just something silly and I've been worrying  over nothing fingers crossed

• Hi

You could always contact the hospital through PALs. I was referred, have a lump on my neck and GP found another one in groin. I hadn't heard anything after a week so contacted PALs and they said there was a backlog. Spoke to my GP who then chased for me because I had a further 3 lumps come up and raised levels in blood test. My appointment came through just after 2 weeks by letter (which wasn't helpful because the letter came day of appointment). So definitely worth chasing if you are worried. The waiting is horrible so I hope you hear soon. 

• Hi I'm in exactly the same position, maybe not as far along in the wait. I saw the GP on 16th Oct, received a referral letter on the Saturday morning which said if I haven't heard by the 20th then ring them up. (Which I did) They said they will send a letter and we are not under normal circumstances, ( like I didn't know) however I just followed what the letter said. I know it's only been a week but my mind is all over the place. Fingers crossed it's not too long a wait x