Rectal cancer

Has anyone gone through this and had there bottom removed would like to know about recovery and having a permanent stoma too .

• Welcome to Cancer Chat, Susiepoosie.

I hope you will get to talk to others here who have experience of rectal cancer surgery, its recovery and also of having a permanent stoma. This recent thread by [@Liz100]‍ may be of interest to you as her partner has been through surgery so don't hesitate to respond and ask her any questions you may have.

We also have some a section on our website on surgery for rectal cancer which you can read here and which includes information on stomas. Our nurses are also available on this free number 0808 800 4040, Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm to answer any question you may have.

I hope you will meet others here who have had the same procedure and that they will be along soon to share their surgery and recovery experience with you.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi, I've only just seen this post and wondered if you had managed to speak to anyone who's been through this? If not, I'm happy to talk to you as I went through this operation in August this year so please get in touch if you want to.
  •  hi to EJL56,   your dog looks lovely, i just thought i would say hello, you are going through a lot, my dad has terminal brain tumour, i know not the same as you,  but sometimes its good to talk to others, hes on the chemo part now, after an opp, and radiotherapy,  i wish you all the best with your continued treatment, and hope you find this site helpfull, as i do,   take a look at the inspiration section,  if you can,   sometimes its nice not to talk of the sad stuff,  but look at the lovely pictures people post.

• HI cococat, thanks for your message and good wishes - Charlie is lovely but a bit boisterous at times!  You're right, it is good to talk to someone when going through treatment as it can all be very frightening but hopefully I'm coming out the other side soon and whilst my life has definitely changed as a result of the treatment I'm optimistic it will still be a good life, so if I can help anyone by talking about my experience I'm more than happy to do so. 

Sorry to hear about your Dad.  I hope he's coping well with the treatment and enjoying life when he can.

Take care

• Hi

I had rectal cancer but have just had my stoma reversal. Ask away if there's anything you'd like to discuss. x