Rectal cancer

Hi my  partner  has  just  been  diagnosed with  rectal  cancer  on  17th of  march  only  sign  he  had was  bloody  poo  noticed  it on the  monday  was  at  gp  Friday  2 weeks  later  camera  up the  bum said  found a  growth  took  byopises longest  2 weeks  wait  then  told  had  rectal  cancer  bowel  was  clear  but  noticed  that  small  spot  on  liver  btw  said  hadn't  gone  into  lymph  nodes  nurse  rang  and said  needed  mir scan on  liver  as  precaution  said it's  probably a haemangioma  had  scan  on  Wednesday  waiting for  results  now  it's  been  3 days  so far  been  told  that  need to have  surgery  and  temporary  colostomy  bag  not  having  any  treatment  before  op  but  possible  chance  that  might  need  chemo  after  haven't  been  told  anything  else  yet  due to  have  op  on  the  15th  of  April  which is a  week  away  my  heads  in  bits  can  anybody  give  me  some  advice  please  so sorry  for  going on  but  my  partner  is  l think  still  in a bit of  denial  his  general  health  is  spot  on  appetite  fantastic  in fact  put  half a  stone on  thanks  very  much  for  reading  this  xx

• Hi, sorry to hear your news. I wanted to let you know that there is sometimes light at the end of the tunnel.

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in Jan 2012. Had my rectum removed and temp illeostomy, 6 months chemo, then reversal of illeostomy. My cancer did spread to a couple of lymph nodes, but chemo sorted that out. I was always determined to get well as i had my children to look after and see grow up, i was 42 when diagnosed. It was a mountain to climb, but you can get through it..I still suffer withpost operation bowel problems but i manage as best as a can. I wish you strength and a positive mental attitude to come through this. Any further help or questions i will try to answer. Be brave x

• Thank you for taking your time to read this  much appreciated  I'm so glad you are on the  mend  it's a scary  journey  may l ask  how  did you  find  having a  temporary  stoma  this is  what  I  think  my  partner  is  going to  find  hard  l want to  support  him and  help  him  101% anything l can  do to  make  life  so  much  more  comfortable  for him  will  help  once again  many  thanks  xx

• Hi Lindyloo,

The first week of having the stoma was the most difficult. I didn't want to engage with it at all. The nurses 

cleaned and changed the bag for me. I realised  i had to come to terms with it and from then , i got on with it myself. After trying a  few different bags and barrier rings , i found what worked for me. There was some white powder i used which stopped me getting sore around the stoma, i don't have the name but the stoma nurse at the hospital can give you some. A couple of times i had a leak, at night, this was a drag and i did take to sleeping with a towel under me. The chemo made the output from the stoma very watery and i found i could not lie down flat at night because of leakage. I would put lots of pillows at the back of me and just sleep a bit more upright. Also, I was given a white elasticated belt which helped support  the bag,which made it more comfortable. I had it for 9 months, to be honest there are times when i wished i could of kept the bag, i have other ongoing bowel problems now, but the hospital feel it should be a last resort to go back to a stoma. Certain food obviously create alot of wind and the bag will fill up with this, but you just release it. The stoma will make it,s own noises , which you can't control but it was'nt too bad. I think your partner should hopefully quickly adapt and the hospital stoma nurses are excellent and there to help. I hope this is not too scary ,i have just tried to be honest about how it was for me. It's just part of the process towards recovery that is needed. If you need any further advice i will try to help. I wish you the best......x