Reconstruction

Any thoughts of reconstruction? I am year down the line of the fatal day when I was told 'you have breast cancer' At the time the best decision was a masectomy as there were possible cancer cells under the 2cm lump and they could not be biopsied. I could have had a lumpectomy but if the cells had been cancerous it would have been back for a masectomy. My main thought was to have the cancer removed. After all the treatment, chemo and radiotherapy , I feel disfigured. Lopsided and embarrassed to show my scars to my partner. He's very supportive but I don't feel the same person. Has anyone been through reconstruction?  I've heard it's a long operation and recovery may be 6 months. Also the consultant said he would take the skin from my back. And how does it look afterwards? The other alternative is to have my other breast made smaller. Or I live with it using prothesis. I find them heavy and uncomfortable so tend to use the foam light ones. The scar itself is tight as well although I do exercise.

Such a big decision.

if anyone reads this, thank you!

Silver 

• Hello Silverdays,

After reading your post and while you wait for others who have experience with breast reconstruction to reply, I thought you might be interested in reading this page we have on our website which talks about 'types of breast reconstruction'.

I hope this can be of a little help with your decision-making!

Best wishes,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator