Recently diagnosed

Hi i was diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus in march of this year, after having an endoscopy procedure in cumbria. Since then i have had a c.t.scan, a pet scan, and an ultrasound scan. I have also been told that the cancer has since spread to my liver, and for that reason i cannot have surgery to remove it. I am due to see a consultant on the 11th May to see if i will be suitable for chemotherapy. I could not swallow any food or water and was fitted with a nasal feeding tube on the 24th March, and had it removed on the 15th April, when i had a stent fitted. I am happy that i can now eat food again, but i was not prepared for the chronic discomfort that has accompianed it. I am hoping that this discomfort is just a short term thing. If anybody out there has experience of this, i would be grateful for any feedback. Many thank's

Malcolm.

• Hi there Malcolm, welcome to the forum, but sorry for why you find yourself here. I don't have the same cancer as you, but I have other cancers. Cancer is cancer however, so we're all in this ship together but certainly not by choice. I just wanted to welcome you and I'm sure someone will respond soon who can relate to the same cancer as you. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, you may want to learn more about your type of cancer on the information section part of the forum. This info is based on sound research and reliable, (not like google, so don't go there). It is very helpful to know more about your cancer and with a better understanding of it, you are better able to know what questions to ask of your treatment team.

Hopefully, you will hear more from others here very soon. Take care and again, welcome.

Lorraine 

• Hi Lorraine 

Thanks for the welcome. Have taken your advice and looked at the information part of the site and digested the information about my primary and secondary cancers. I think that i will feel more comfortable when i have had my appointment with the consultant in about a fortnight's time. I am busy writing down questions to ask him, as i do not want to come away and realise later something that i forgot to ask at the time. Will post again when i know more. Once again thank's for the welcome.

Malcolm.

• Hi Malcolm, you're wise to make notes on the questions you need to ask. What often happens when we get in front of the doctor, or treatment team, we forget what it is we want to know. Either that, or we hear things that upset us and  get scared off to ask anything else. It would also be a good idea to take someone with you for emotional support and also to ask questions that may come up during this discussion.

On a different note, I like the picture of your dog. What kind of dog is it, and what is the name? I hope some of your discomfort is starting to settle down. I hope things go well for you on your next apt. and look forward to hearing from you afterward.

Take care

Lorraine