Radiotherapy

My mum got out of hospital last week after getting radiotherapy 3 times a day for 14 days.  She was totally fine during the treatment but now she's home she is exhausted.  She sleeps all the time.  Is this normal?  It's having a knock on effect with everything else.  She's not eating or taking her medication because she's always asleep.  If this is normal how long does the tiredness normally last.  I should have said my mum has lung cancer and is 80 years old

• Dear myvot

i am now two years post treatment for throat cancer ....yipeeeeee

i had Tomotherapy, a more direct intensive radio therapy.....one session 5 days a week for 6 weeks.

by the end of it I could hardly get out of bed I was so tired

Before my treatment I would awake up at 6:30 and go to sleep at around midnight. I'm also a fit bloke and play lots of sports

now, when I get into bed ..... 3 mins and I'm gone  and for a full 8 hours

i sleep like a baby now

nowdays I still play a lot of sport, I can stay up til gone past midnight, but it will catch up with me the following day

being that your mum is 80 I would have thought she is going to be very tired

in the I itial days I had to have a sleep in the afternoon for about 3-4 hours and made my wife get me up, otherwise I would never had seen any of my family

shout if you need to know anything but sleep is normal

vatch

• Thanks vatch 

She's normally so active and always out and about.  Just upsets me so much seeing her like this.  She lives aline which dosent help.  I work full time but my work allow me to work 4 days a week but I have to work extra hours the other 4 days.  I spend a Wednesday with her and also take her to my house from Friday night til Sunday afternoon. Wish I could be with her 24/7.  I'm just worried because she's not eating.  

• Soup soup and soup

you have just got to let her rest though it took it out of me massively and I was a fit 51 year old, I'd be well overtired if I were 80

all I can so though is that having throat cancer once you get used to not eating it's very easy to just not eat ... It becomes natural and I became very ill only for a short time, then slowly i started to eat.

at worst ask the doctor for some booster milkshakes .... They are full of calories 

might just get her back in the swing of eating 

vatch