Radiotherapy.

I'm seeking statistics on delayed radiotherapy in relation to it's effectiveness and the increased risk of recurrence potentially due to this. I had a lumpectomy for early stage invasive ductal carcinoma 5 months ago.  The tumour was less than a cm, the margins and lymph nodes were clear.  I was supposed to have had 5 days radiotherapy afterwards.  Unfortunately that has all had to be postponed as major surgery I'd been waiting on for a benign condition (which is basically doing its best to kill me!) was brought forward.  This has resulted in further emergency admissions and a huge amount of weight loss which means the marking up ct I'd had previously needs to be redone.  I have an appointment for that tomorrow but radiotherapy isn't due to start until the beginning of November.  The surgery I had for the benign condition had to be done outwith my NHS area however the plan was that I'd be able to be seen nearer to home in future.  It now appears that won't be the case so yet again not even emergency care in regards to this. I've made the decision to continue with my GP, purely for prescription prescribing and completely opt out of all other NHS care although not in relation to the breast cancer as yet.  With regards to radiotherapy I've been trying to get as much information as possible on statistics when it's delayed.  I've contacted the hospitals radiotherapy advice line who haven't been able to help with this.  I'm feeling pressured by my family into accepting treatment but if it's less beneficial now I'm struggling to see the point with the other things I have going on.  If for any reason it's delayed again my family are well aware I'm intending to refuse it.

• Hello Anne and thanks for posting, 

I am sorry to hear about everything that has been going on. It sounds like you have been through a lot. 

I can understand you asking, but I'm afraid I don't have the sorts of statistics that you are looking for readily to hand. But my experience is that statistics aren't always straightforward to interpret, so I  think the best person to ask about the benefit of having radiotherapy now is your oncologist as they know all about you and can put any data in context.

I am sorry not to be able to be more specific but hope that your oncologist can tell you more. 

Please give us a call if you want to talk anything over.  Our number  is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and we are here from 9-5, weekdays.

Best wishes,

Julia 

• Hi Julia,

Thanks for your reply.  Hopefully I'll be able to speak to someone today while in getting remarked.

Anne